No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: crackle glass with black rim  (Read 792 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
crackle glass with black rim
« on: July 21, 2013, 08:09:04 PM »
a type of glass seen quite commonly at times, and in a variety of colours and shapes, but I'd not seen an example with a separately applied coloured rim like this.
Has a very good ring, but that might just be due to the bell-like shape  -  and has a quality ground pontil depression - but a lack of wear on the foot makes me think not old.           A few white  ish seeds/stones in the glass - always a good sign, but really unsure of purpose  -  could be a vase possibly  -  maybe it stood inside something?           Very large tea mixing bowl ;D ;)
Does the rim suggest any particular source or age do people think.                 Height is 6.5" (165mm)
Thanks for looking.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Re: crackle glass with black rim
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 01:31:38 AM »
Hi Paul,  first thoughts was bohemian, as they are renouned for black rims, but from what I've seen, mainly this is on rich coloured glass and also not too sure about the crackled affect and quality.   Blenko was another area that I looked at, but unable to find anything similar, but aware that some of their glass do have coloured rims.   The only one, but with a different coloured rim, is currently on Ebay, but the detailed information was very disappointing.   The footing looks similar to yours even though the vase is plane.  You could always email them to find out where they acquired it from in Australia.  Celery vase comes to mind from one of my previous post on crackled vases. Fenton was also an area that I looked at but unable to find anything that remotely resembles yours, as for age, I'll leave that to the experts.   Nice vase though, could add to my collection ;D.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lovely-Large-Clear-Glass-Vase-Pink-Rim-VGC-/281139361639?pt=AU_Home_Decor&hash=item4175363767#ht_591wt_904

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 08:46:53 AM »
thanks for taking a look Otis.              I rather by-passed this area some time back, so really not my scene any more, and I don't see any 'crackle' in your pink rimmed link, so will leave that for now.            As I say, seen loads of the stuff in recent years, and get the impression a lot has been produced in the first half C20.
Apparently there is some confusion between crackle and overshot glass, so need to be careful we don't get the two sorts mixed up  -  I think the States people sometimes call this sort overshot.
As a decorative style, ice crackle has been around for a long time, and from a variety of countries, and you may well be correct with your suggestion of the Continent for this one  -  I think it's probably more modern than old, unfortunately  -  I bought it at the boot fair along with some mid C19 pieces, so suspect I've convinced myself it's older than it really is.
The foot and bowl look disproportionate - almost as though it's going to fall over any minute.     If you drop by it's yours for a couple of quid. ;D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 09:57:14 AM »
I would go with modern homeware from China or somewhere: that black rim looks distinctly flaky and the pontil mark looks matt

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 10:35:33 AM »
o.k. then  -  another one to go into the charity shop :-[

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 11:08:29 AM »
Oh dear Paul! This is clearly breach/offer of the 'Sale of a Goods Act'.   Hopefully undetected, but thank you all the same. :-X

I just had a browse at the Chinese crackle vases and I do agree with Christine to some degree, however, I have not yet come across one with that type of rim. 

Charity shop?   I bet you it will be up for sale for more than a couple of s/quid.  'Cautious'  ;).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand