No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Info Needed For Caithness LTD Edition Paperweight  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Alton11

• Members
Info Needed For Caithness LTD Edition Paperweight
« on: July 26, 2013, 11:19:39 PM »
Signed Caithness 'Reflections' 1975 and #d to 500. Just wondering who is the maker/designer of this piece. I do not have many paperweights, but I really like this particular piece. Thnx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Info Needed For Caithness LTD Edition Paperweight
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 07:01:03 AM »

Hi Alton11

It is a Colin Terris design, but I doubt anyone now knows which of the various factory workers made it.

Here is a question for others who know more about Caithness paperweights than me.  There are so many Limited Edition designs (it seems to me as many or more than unlimited ones): it would be interesting to know whether they issued more Limited Edition paperweights than unlimited.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 02:53:12 PM »
Here is a question for others who know more about Caithness paperweights than me.  There are so many Limited Edition designs (it seems to me as many or more than unlimited ones): it would be interesting to know whether they issued more Limited Edition paperweights than unlimited.

Alan
A quick check of my database (which means a small uncertainty) shows 2432 limited - and "only" 1669 unlimited designs, including the 2013 issues (but not the Royal Baby issues yet). Neither are commissioned weights (480 known to me) included in these numbers - more often limited than not as well.
Best regards - Wolf
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 05:21:55 PM »
Does always make me laugh when I see a limited edition of 2500 or more!

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 07:31:33 PM »
Does always make me laugh when I see a limited edition of 2500 or more!
For Caithness I am aware of 11 designs ed 2000, plus 13 designs ed 3000 (only few actually reached this number in the end). Then there are few with odd edition sizes, like 2012 for the 2012 Olympic Games, or Collectors' complimentary weights (depending on the actual membership in any particular year). Not too bad - out of 2432 designs with limited edition size.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 07:54:32 PM »
Hi all

Its worth adding that at its peak the Caithness collectors club alone numbered over 10,000 registered collectors so although I agree that a "limited" edition of 2500 is laughable - that is only one PW for every 4 members of its collectors club which doesn't include any sales from other outlets.

Caithness dealt in big numbers...... at its peak in Perth they had 18 chairs and an output of  around 150,000 paperweights per year employing about 160 on the glass side excluding the shop and cafe.

Best regards

Derek

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand