No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Brockwitz "Hammonia" clock  (Read 1107 times)

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
Brockwitz "Hammonia" clock
« on: July 31, 2013, 02:57:40 PM »
Hi, I thought I would post a picture of my clear glass Brockwitz clock, mainly because I didn't know they had made one  (until now!!!)   I bought it on Ebay thinking it was another 1930s clock to go with my others. Sellers description was very early 20th century hobnail clock. I couldn't find one anywhere like it until I was searching the Brockwitz catalogues on line as I just bought a blue lion handled bowl on the car boot for just £1.50p. I came across the clock just by chance. It dates to 1915 ,pattern name Hammonia, I found a carnival marigold one on Google images. Its just over 5 inches high and in excellent condition. The clock itself is not working but its not bad as its nearly 100 years old.   Cheers Cheryl.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Brockwitz clock
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 04:22:19 PM »
another very nice find Cheryl..........think we should start following you around ;)            I would be inclined to agree with the description of the pattern as 'hobnail'  -  which seems to have been quite common around the end of the C19 - early C20 .........Davidson made an entire suite using this design for both clear and coloured glass.
I say this as I've seen recent posts here with glass patterns described as hobnail, and which have been nothing more than enlarged raised dots.

I see your picture is titled 'clock, uranium glass, whale'  -  do we need to go to Specsavers ;D                 thanks for sharing.

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
Re: Brockwitz clock
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 05:19:27 AM »
Thanks Paul for your comments. I did find when looking up hobnail glass anything bumpy gets called hobnail, its not really that bumpy at all, just highly patterned.  I did think it might be a Davidson clock but then just by chance found it to be Brockwitz. They did lots of items in this pattern too. It seems the clock was just in that one year of manufacture during the first world war. I found out the pattern is also known as Regal Cane.
By the way Paul you don't need new glasses just yet, we took photos of three items to post, the clock , the small uranium glasses and a lovely neodymium whale, the whale photos were to blurry to use, its just the file name to find them easily on the computer.  ;D   Thanks again Cheryl

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand