No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A Green Glass - uranium or not ?  (Read 858 times)

Offline rose de verre

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass/ ceramics
    • ireland
A Green Glass - uranium or not ?
« on: August 20, 2013, 12:05:23 PM »
Hi all
This green wine glass is very bright bluish green, I can't decide if it is uranium glass or not. It is earlier in my opinion than I first thought, from the foot wear and the cutting, maybe early 19thc. The Georgians did make uranium glass, to my surprise, but there are not a lot of examples on view. The glass is Irish by the way. Any opinion welcome !

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: A Green Glass - uranium or not ?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 12:44:09 PM »
 Hiya and welcome to the GMB.  The only way to find out if it does contain UR is if it emits visible light under UV.  If it is Uranium it will postdate 1835 by definition.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 12:47:17 PM »
Definitely uranium (I can see the glow from here Ivo  :-*), more likely mid to late 19th than early IMHO and probably English rather than Irish, perhaps Percival Vickers.

Looks stylistically related to this http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=573
and colourwise to this http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1426

Offline rose de verre

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass/ ceramics
    • ireland
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 01:04:06 PM »
Well, I thank y'all for most interesting comments. I had meant to add I don't have a Geiger counter handy in original post ! I like the I can see the glow from here - my instinct was it was uranium, what confused me - was only associating uranium glass with late Victorian times. Could well be mid Victorian my example, and could well be English - collected in Ireland mind you, just to wrong foot me !- where I try to collect old Irish glass, a few of the odder examples of which I hope to post later.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 04:28:49 PM »
quote .............."where I try to collect old Irish glass" ......   ah, now this sounds more like my cup of tea  -  look forward to seeing some pieces :)

I would agree with the suggestion of second half C19 (perhaps the latter half)..........although I think some of the problem is that much Georgian glass was copied, giving perhaps the false impression that anything in that style must be old.    I'm sure these things were made into the C20.                 
The individual elements of your glass are found in Georgian/Regency designs..........the lipped round funnel bowl, flat cut flutes, the bladed knop and the collar/merese (under the bowl), were around half a century or more earlier  - but I'd suggest their proportions and combination in your piece are wrong for the period.    Also maybe the foot is a tad small for Georgian.     You probably have a small depression, centrally under the foot, where the pontil scar was removed.                  Uranium produces it's very own types of green, lighter in general than the Georgians deeper bluey-greens, and well known bristol green.              It's true that some poeple here can see uranium green from very long distances. ;)

Rather than a Geiger counter, why not get a small u.v. torch   -  the small key-ring sort are inexpensive.            Nice glass by the way, but now you've seen one, you'll find them everywhere  -  green, whether uranium or not is possibly most common form of coloured drinking glass even if only used for the bowl. :)     

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand