No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery cut/pink/clear Kosta?  (Read 464 times)

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
  • Some knowledge but is it ever enough?
    • Czech, UK, Scandi glass
    • England
Mystery cut/pink/clear Kosta?
« on: August 28, 2013, 05:29:43 PM »
I bought this a while back and I have a feeling the vendor said it was a Kosta Boda vase, which would make it Scandinavian. If it is Kosta I don’t know the date either, although I’d guess 1980s for some reason. I’m not so sure myself - it seems to have a lot of ideas going on at the same time. Well at least four ideas; lenses, swirly cuts up the sides, an angled top and a pink bottom. Maybe it’s Czech? Although I seem to think that about most vases at the moment. It's 250mm high and pretty thick 'n' hefty. Any suggestions welcome.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Mystery cut/pink/clear Kosta?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 08:07:14 PM »
It somehow looks more Czech to me than Scandinavian, much wear on the base?

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 05:38:36 PM »
Hello John - no, not a lot of wear on the base, nicely finished though and a large, shiny pontil mark (please God, don't tell me this one is from TKMaxx too). I just reckon that the Scandinavian's would be a bit more restrained - this does to me suggest a lot of influences, and too many of them at the same time!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mr. Turnip

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 05:38:33 PM »
As an update on this one I've come to the conclusion that it may very well be a Czech. Podebrady factory product - Crystalex or Skarny Bohemia depending on when it was made. I've since seen other vases with the same kind of optical effect circles and line combination, and one clear vase with the same circle/line effect along with big flowers as well. It was labelled as probably being Whitefriars - which I doubt.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand