No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby Biscuit Jar RD 77967  (Read 991 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Sowerby Biscuit Jar RD 77967
« on: August 31, 2013, 02:49:52 PM »
Fred

I have the base only of a Sowerby oval  biscuit jar Rd 77967. I will add a picture later as its in my garden shed. Not sure if the design or pattern is of any use to you.

Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Sowerby Biscuit Jar RD 77967
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 09:32:02 PM »
Thank you, Roy.

RD 77967 was registered by Sowerby on 3 August 1887.

I would like to see a photo, please, because I don't have a photo reference for it yet - hopefully I may also be able to find a Sowerby pattern number for it too.

Cottle describes it as a biscuit barrel. Thompson describes it as "pattern and shape of biscuit (imit. cut with flutes)".

Fred.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 09:07:52 AM »
Fred

Some pictures for you. It came from a village fete for a couple of pounds.

I will have to wait and try to find a lid for it, most likely only when you find another complete one and if the base is damaged no problem just hope the lid is ok.

Length 9"
Height 4.5"
Weight of the base 1084gm

Roy 

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 04:51:47 PM »
Thank you for the photos, Roy.

I haven't been able to match it within anything from the extant pattern books so far.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 08:53:39 PM »
I'll have a look at the National Archive records when I visit later this week, and hopefully post some pix. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 04:20:09 PM »
Kew reference for the Representations Book is BT 50/89.           As is usual with Sowerby, these purple ink drawings are a little meagre and show only two dimensional illustrations, but regret this is the best that can be obtained.            It does at least give an idea of the type of lid that Roy is looking for (and probably won't find) ;D

This particular Registration is beyond the diamond lozenge period, which ceased some time in January 1884 - the books for which contained Registrations for glass only (all Class III)  -  and this separation of one CLASS only per book, was the same for all Classes of goods.             So, although they're very large and heavy, the four Representations books that cover all of the images for glass from 1842 to January 1884, do mean that much information is confined within a few volumes only.

Unfortunately, the Board of Trade in their wisdom decided that after January 1884 all goods, no matter what their CLASS, would be Registered from a single series of Nos., and the Representations (the pix) of each article would no longer be contained in separate volumes for each Class.            Thus from January 1884 all Classes are together in the same books, and this makes for lean pickings, quite often, from say, just one volume, even though it might contain many hundreds of Registrations.
The Victorians, during the later part of the C19, had a passion for designing wallpaper and cotton fabrics, and the Representations books after Jan 1884 are full to overflowing with such designs, meaning that items of glass are spaced very widely apart.
If you look for example at the early part of 1884, you'll see that Slack notes only six items of glass in over three and a half thousand new Registrations.
Whilst I have almost all pix from the lozenge period it's unlikely - in view of the above - that I'll ever attempt a full library of pix for items post January 1884.

Just a note as always to remind people of our appreciation and thanks to the Trustees of The National Archives for continuing to allow photography and publishing of watermarked pix of glass Registrations on the GMB. :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 05:51:27 PM »
Thank you, as always, Paul.

Fred.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 04:43:50 PM »
Thanks Paul for all your help

I think I will find a lid one day. I agree not on its own but a good chance that a complete one may be found with a damaged base  ;D . Although I think this is the first one I have ever seen so most likely not a common piece.
Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand