No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Penny Lick and ?  (Read 613 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Penny Lick and ?
« on: September 04, 2013, 07:43:39 AM »
Hi all, I have these two pieces. The really Solid piece is a Penny Lick 8.3cm high its the other glass that I am unsure of. It is 8.7cm high 6.2cm diameter lip and 5.6cm diameter foot. It is really shallow, only as deep as the top ring on the body. Is it a Deceptive, a Penny/Two Lick ? I put them together as they came in the same lot. I missed the second box with the rest of a collection of licks and old glass. The base is Polished  with a small convex pontil. I am not sure about this one at all. I am not even sure if it is old, if its not it is unusually shallow. Any help or pointers welcome. Thanks. Pete
Pete. :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Penny Lick and ?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 08:20:07 AM »
nope, sorry, you have only the one lick  -  don't know what the other piece is for.           Not a deceptive as far as I can see.

Licks came in a variety of sizes...........from penny to (apparently) sixpenny mega sorts.......but all have certain features in common.     Thick as six short planks........shallow flatish bottoms, and very short and thick stems.               But the overriding feature is the thickness of the glass.
Viewed from the side, the profile of the bowl cavity is quite unmistakable.

Sorry to hear you missed some other examples. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 09:16:50 AM »
Thanks Paul. The penny lick wouldn't break if you threw it. The other glass is strange, would not hold enough of anything. Here's a pic to show the depth, not even enough milk for a coffee. There were 3 stuart crystal glasses in the lot I missed, I had one, waited for the box to be picked up but no one did and I had to be elsewhere. Shame really. Will put this one on the "?" Shelf for now.
Excuse the shortened pic, trying out a batch resizer, not the best I am finding out.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 03:10:06 PM »
looking again at this non-lick glass, the moulding reminds me of the Stuart 'Stratford Rings' design.............can't be sure, but there is some similarity.           Assume there isn't a backstamp?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 08:12:59 PM »
No backstamp at all. It is similar to Stratford rings will check that.  (I will be posting a piece that may interest you, probably tomorrow)I  haven't given up searching yet. All I seem to do is trawl all day. Thanks Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand