No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jack Allen Signature Canes  (Read 1257 times)

Offline daveweight

• Members
Jack Allen Signature Canes
« on: September 04, 2013, 06:28:27 PM »
I have just won my third Jack Allen paperweight but this has an unusual signature cane. The first two weights both have a white cane with green surround but the latest one has his initials set on a black base with pink surrounding canes.
Does anyone have any idea how many signature canes Jack Allen used as I would be interested to know
Thanks
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Jack Allen Signature Canes
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 07:49:34 PM »
There are at least three known styles of JA signature canes, each being shown by Andy Dohan in his Signature Canes book (CD version). But there are also variations of apparently the same cane for at least two types.

Your first image is matched by the cane in a Perthshire Paperweights "witches ball" weight I have, except that in my example there are only 16 outer canes whereas in yours (and in Andy's book) the example has 18 outer canes.

Your second example is very much like one in Andy's book, with both having 25 outer canes that seem to be identical in structure and colour, but the actual "JA" in the one Andy shows is white letters over grey, but yours is grey letters over white.

The third type has thin "black" initials in separate white cores and these are surrounded by a 20-ribbed thick orange sleeve. The example I have was bought from Bob Hall and he illustrated it on page 137 of his World Paperweights book.

I thought I had added images of my examples somewhere in the GMB but I cannot find the message or the images.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 12:10:19 PM »
Many thanks Kev. I had the chance of buying the JA Witches ball Bottle and weight but opted for just getting the weight which I now regret as the pair would have looked great. My second JA weight is what must have been the master sample of the 1971 Perthshire Christmas holly weight but has more lampwork and the third is complex canes over scattered millifiore,. Pictures attached.
Wonder how many JA weights there are around ?  I doubt he made any at Vasart but he did at Strathearn and Perthshire
Dave

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 07:38:07 PM »
Hi Dave

Jack would have made many "JA" weights at Vasart as he joined the Ysarts in 1948 so by the time Vasart emerged he would
have been glass making for 18 years and there were plenty of friggers made during the lunch break while Vince wasn't around.

It was at Vasart that Dave Moir helped Jack pull his signature cane one lunch time that Kev refers too,
using the orange colour from the crushed up vitrolite glass tiles. (Picture attached). 

And don't forget the JA weights that he made while at Caithness Oban!

Best regards

Derek

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 06:23:41 AM »

For the record, here is an image of a 1973 Caithness crown, and the Oban Glass 'OG JA' cane in the base.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 07:19:27 AM »
This has been on here before, and I don't actually own it anymore.  Brought for £22 at a small fair in Berkhamsted :)  My face when I turned it over to find a JA cane was a picture!

Believed to be a trial for flower in the rain, it is much bigger than a standard flower in the rain.

Ian

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r267/pooleandpaperweights/DSC_0263.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r267/pooleandpaperweights/DSC_0267.jpg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand