No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandinavian Kosta / Orrefors cut fish pattern bowl - Designer Required  (Read 391 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Fairly sure this bowl is Scandinavian and possibly produced by either Kosta or Orrefors.

The cut fish design is annoyingly familiar, although I haven't managed to find an exact match to date, hoped someone may recognise the designer.

Fairly large, measuring 11 inches in diameter and 2.25 inches tall. Weighs just under 2.5 kg.

The pattern has been cut from underneath and the base has been polished smooth, there is a extremely faint pontil depression.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Greg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Scandinavian Kosta / Orrefors cut fish pattern bowl - Designer Required
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 04:26:37 PM »
Gorgeous, definitely no makers marks Greg? Is the blue tint in third photo accurate?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 05:10:20 PM »
Thanks for taking a look John. Unfortunately do makers mark, one of those pieces you almost certainly think would be signed when turning over.

The colour in the third photo isn't accurate. The colour visible through the edge of the rim is I think probably an optical illusion due to the thickness of the glass. When holding the bowl up and looking through the centre of the bowl it is completely clear. Looking at the edge of the rim it does give the appearance of a very light watery translucent blue, however, i suspect this is just down to the glass thickness and the angle. If there is colour its a very subtle blue indeed.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 06:14:54 PM »
A long shot but what about Whitefriars?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 09:12:27 AM »
Thanks for the link John.

I showed the bowl to someone else yesterday and they thought the bowl had a very light grey blue colour. The colour is only really visible when viewing through the edge of the rim, the rest of the bowl appears clear. Its quite a tricky one to see what's going on. Its certainly got a strong Scandinavian feel, I'll keep digging to see if anything turns up.

Many thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand