No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Beverage Decanter or Perfume Decanter??  (Read 480 times)

Offline wjweese

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass Identification
    • United States
Beverage Decanter or Perfume Decanter??
« on: September 08, 2013, 12:11:31 AM »
I have tried to identify this for the last 10 years and still know nothing about it. A friend suggested that you might be able to help so I signed up. Can anyone tell me anything about this or make suggestions of what to research? It is 3 sided and the bottom pushes up into the bottle but is smooth rather than a rough pontil. Stands approx. 12" tall and 4.5" across

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Beverage Decanter or Perfume Decanter??
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 10:43:06 AM »
Welcome to the board. At that size alcohol or other beverage seems more likely than cologne. Can you crop your pictures so we have more glass and less background please and repost them. It's hard to see how it was made, but it looks mould blown. Can we also have a shot of the base against a plain dark background

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 03:14:04 PM »
I suspect that Lustrousstone is probably correct............  a lot of very ornate and colourful liqueur sets came out of Bohemia/Czechoslovakia in the 1920 - 30 period  -  many looking more like cologne and perfume bottles rather than alcohol containers.               Most sets were made of either coloured glass or clear glass decorated with coloured enamels and bands of gilding etc., so this one is unusual insofar as it's clear undecorated glass.
Always possible it's a jumbo cologne  -  trouble is going to be finding an attribution.............these things were knocked out in profusion, and you may well never find the answer.         You may have to settle for 'eastern Europe, pre 1940'.

P.S.    Welcome from me also :)

Offline wjweese

• Members
    • Glass Identification
    • United States
Repost - Beverage/Perfume Bottle
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 07:25:13 PM »
Thank you to Paul and Lustrousstone for your response - I am reposting with close ups of the decanter. This was done in a three piece mold but the seams are so well concealed that I only found them by feeling for them on the base and neck. If you follow the tip of triangle in the design up the neck you might be able to see it. I tried to catch them in a photo but after 15 shots I am posting the clearest one. There are a few bubbles in all three panels and I tried to get a shot of those also. I am restricted by my wheelchair so getting the shots I would like isn’t always possible and I no longer have my black covered photo box. I bought this because it was smaller than the beverage decanters and I thought it might be a perfume decanter used in the general store in the days when ladies brought their perfume bottles to the general store or druggist and had them filled. I have since decided it is not quite that old. Either way it is still one of the most unusual bottles in my collection.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Repost - Beverage/Perfume Bottle
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 07:39:28 PM »
Definitely mould blown. Perhaps 1930/40s Czech.

Please don't start a new thread for the same subject; just reply to the existing thread. I've asked the moderators to merge this with the other thread

Offline wjweese

• Members
    • Glass Identification
    • United States
Re: Repost - Beverage/Perfume Bottle
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 08:41:13 PM »
Thank you for all your help with the bottle and with the messages. I have learned a great deal. This is my first time with a message board and I appreciate your help. I am estatic to know something about my bottle and do truly appreciate your help. My mother-in-law left over 300 pieces of glass to my stepchildren and I have been learning a boundle while getting these pieces identified so hopefully I will be able to assist someone in return.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 04:26:09 PM »
Welcome from me too, and looking forward to seeing you around with either more queries - or some answers!  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand