No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: date please  (Read 629 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
date please
« on: October 01, 2013, 01:07:17 PM »
 Hi all,i think this is port glass size,10.5 cm ht 5.5 wd,it has a folded foot and broken pontil with a long ring to it ,the only thing is it just seemed to little money for an antique type shop,under a tenner,anyone got any ideas,many thanks..

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Re: date please
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 02:59:40 PM »
HI ,
          probably around 1800/1820 when there was a revival of the folded foot ,

Cheers ,
                 Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 03:39:58 PM »
Thanks Peter,that's my Christmas port glass sorted ;D,i can't get my head around how pieces like this that are from the reign of George 111,200 years old are so cheap!?it's going to be fun finding an eclectic set of them..

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 12:53:38 PM »
very annoying that revival, I'm sure it confuses a lot of people, me included  -  although not sure about the meaning of eclectic in this context - the overall shape isn't uncommon (not necessarily with a folded foot though).             So you should find some more if you hunt around, but the decoration will be the problem.

In theory you should be able to recognize this as being of the period Peter has given - from the other side of the room - whether you can see the folded foot or not - in view of the style and type of cut decoration.
The style of cutting is very typical of late Georgian/Regency  -  especially the herringbone band or blazes as they're often called, and although the bucket bowl was in vogue mid C18, at that period it wouldn't have been in the proportions and style we see it here.     This piece appears to be borrowing a lot from the English rummer style that came into it's own around 1780 ish, although I'm not so sure that there was ever a specific shape/size of glass for port, but like most drinks it'll taste the same whatever the glass you drink it from. :)

However, there's something about this piece that makes me think provincial, or perhaps Irish  -  it has an almost naive or rustic quality about the cutting.           Could be wrong  -  just my opnion. :)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 02:51:40 PM »
Thanks Paul,i was going to mention the cutting has a gung ho look about it,i had the bowl down as a funnel so that's good to learn,eclectic in the sense of different sources,but I've probably got that wrong to ;)..

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 06:24:32 PM »
You might find one of the books helpful, at least for learning about the shapes of bowls, knops, and for general dating of periods.       
It might have been Peter who suggested it, I don't remember, but the Penguin 'Glass Through the Ages' by E. Barrington Haynes is really useful for just about everything to do with drinking glasses.                Being a paperback it's obviously cheap, in comparison with some of the pricey hardbacks, and a very good read. :)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 06:28:42 PM »
Hi ,
           Just make sure you don't get a first edition it was full of mistakes which were corrected in later editions.

Cheers ,
                 Peter.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 06:42:53 PM »
thanks Peter  -  you'd think it unlikely that a paperback from 1948 would still be in one piece  -  but I guess anything is possibly.

Speaking of books, I've only just noticed that captions for the upper pix on pages 152 and 153, in Ward Lloyd's 1969 book 'Investing in Georgian Glass', are transposed.             Unfortunately, it appears not to have been spotted in 1971 when the Corgi version was printed - not that it should matter since it's fairly obvious by looking at the glasses in question to which each refers. 

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 06:47:45 PM »
Hi ,
          Lol  that's what they said at the time and it still bugs Ward.

cheers ,
                       Peter.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 08:18:09 PM »
Thanks for the feedback chaps,in my O.N Wilkinson's old glass,there are various diagrams of knops and bowls,it's just taking a long time to sink in! ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand