No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Need help w/ Spatter Vase  (Read 455 times)

Offline beehalo

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Vintage
    • USA
Need help w/ Spatter Vase
« on: October 10, 2013, 10:54:05 PM »
I picked this up at a resale shop and am trying to figure out details of its maker. There are no brand marks on it. Do you have any ideas?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Need help w/ Spatter Vase
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 08:02:44 AM »
hi and welcome to the GMB :)
although not my area at all, I'm always reminded of the need to be careful with these things  -  it's easy to say Chinese, which have similar colour combinations (and is the sort you're more likely to come accross)...........but then so do some of the more desireable Scandinavian originals.................Holmegaard in particular, but Sweden and Norway also produced this spatter effect.

I could be wrong, but this one looks to be cased in clear, but those who are more knowedgeable might need to see a picture of the underside of the base - which is useful in any event.      Size is also useful, usually.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline beehalo

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Vintage
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 08:17:52 AM »
Thank you for the response! Yes, this is encased in clear and it's 13" tall.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 01:50:25 PM »
Probably exhausted my experience on these already, but..................similarly coloured pieces, often on white/pink/green/yellow grounds were very common in the U.K. some few years back, and often bought/sold as Italian or Scandinavian.                       They appear to have been described as 'Snowflake' vases  -  although I'm not sure if that was a company name or a reference to the type of decoration.          See the attached link..........        http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,47453.msg267008.html#msg267008

As you can see, the abstract decoration seems mostly to be some type of swirl, unlike yours on which the applied colour is more akin to splashing or splattering.                 As with most things, when you are desperate for a quality attribution you end up with Woolworths  -  the good stuff comes only, it seems, when you least expect it.

A year or two back you'd have had several folk already telling you it was Chinese  -  the fact that you haven't doesn't necessarily mean you've something better  -  nonetheless I wouldn't hold your breath on this piece.
The correct answer might lay in the finish of the base - we need someone with experience of these pieces - both the good and the bad.

Whatever it is, it's attractive, which may explain why they have been made in so many different countries over the last half century. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand