No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby Frog & bullrushes  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Dacca

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Uranium glass
    • New zealand
Sowerby Frog & bullrushes
« on: October 14, 2013, 02:10:53 AM »
Have an oppotunity to purcgase a Sowerby Frogs & bullrushes Bowl but wondering what a resonable price would be?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Sowerby Frog & bullrushes
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 09:33:32 AM »
Hi and welcome.  :)
I'm afraid we don't tend to discuss values here - they are far too subjective.
However, the frog and bullrushes is not a very common piece to find.

Value will depend on desirabilty of the colour, whether or not the plinth and flower frog is present and condition.

Some time ago, before the recessions hit, a bowl or vase alone would have been ~ £75, but I did see a uranium bowl go for ~ £25 on ebay earlier on this year.

It's really up to you, how much do you like it and want it, how much will you pay?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Dacca

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Uranium glass
    • New zealand
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 06:50:50 PM »
Ok, as im just starting out collecting, i had no idea about a plinth or frog & am sure the bowl has neither. Its a green uranium bowl, condition looks good but havent poured over it yet. The price is $120 NZ= 60 pounds which seems reasonable.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 07:11:44 PM »
I know the bowl exactly!  :)
It's a gorgous beast, and Uranium green is particularly desirable (and lovely).

Finding one in NZ is a bit unusual  (although finding one at all is also unusual), so the price isn't that bad... you'd have to pay a lot of postage to get one sent over, that's assuming you did find one at all.

Flower frogs and plinths do turn up, sometimes you can even "marry" bits, to get the correct look, but it is a lovely thing, just on its own.

(Ok, ok I'm not a purist about pressed glass, before I get descended upon!)

To check a piece of glass for damage, give it a light tap with a fingernail to see if it "rings".
If there is a crack, it will thunk, not ring.

For damage around the rim or base - feel it with your fingertips - and feel it all over for anything sharp.
Use your eyes as well, obviously!

Turn it around at all angles, in good bright light, checking for flashes of mirrory anything - which might be a crack or stress fracture, or round bits which look shiney - that could be a bruise, which is something almost impossible to get rid of.

If you do find any aceptable damage, say, tiny fleabites around the base, you could try to negotiate a discount. :)

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand