No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Georgian decanter copy?  (Read 3911 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Georgian decanter copy?
« on: October 17, 2013, 09:54:23 AM »
Hi all,i immediately recognised this as a shape I'd seen before drooling over pictures of old glass and when i got it into my hands i was pleased to find it had a rough broken pontil,but it's very light with a hollow stopper and doesn't seem to have a ring to it,that maybe the shape,it does have bubbles and bits though with wear to the base,23cm to top of stopper,many thanks Ant..

PSit has a sort of frosty leaf decoration.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Georgian decanter copy?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 10:25:56 AM »
Here's another photo,may have to be rotated to save neck injury ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 02:07:42 PM »
Hi again,just as an add on the decoration seems to be oak leaves and acorns,loosely done but very effective,so maybe Jacobite symbols,Scottish?..

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 03:19:58 PM »
Im inclined to suggest that's wishful thinking ;).           Quite likely last third of C19 to something like 1920 - 30, and my thoughts are not British.             With very few exceptions, earlier stoppers were solid, and prior to the Regency neck rings would have been applied separately, although this one might also be made using that method.
Shape wise it might be prussian.              The fit of that stopper looks a bit iffy.              As regards the decoration, I think it's the 'loosely done' bit that rather takes it out of the C18. ;)
Sorry to be negative.                                           Kevin has a lot of decanters - let's see what he thinks. :)         

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 04:12:04 PM »
Don't worry Paul I'm not expecting much,the neck rings are applied after it was blown I'd say and i read somewhere Jacobite symbols were used for along time..

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 07:14:28 AM »
Must learn to do links,I've found something very similar at M.Ford Creech Antiques,described as George 111 half pint decanter,any thoughts..

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 05:05:11 PM »
Hi,

The decanter may well be William IV/George IV (1830-1840) but I don't think the stopper is the original if it is.  Rough pontil marks continued into the mid 19th century and later in Europe from where I believe your decanter possibly originates.   Unfortunately three ring Prussian style decanters have been made since the turn of the 18th/19th century well into the 20th, and it is hard to be certain without being able to see the metal and the wear.   

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 06:03:06 PM »
Thanks Neil,trying to get my head around the shapes, i thought it was the mallet shape.The stopper doesn't match up with the wear marks i guess the original was broken so I'll try and find one at some point ,bullseye type maybe?,as for the metal that's what made me think it was some sort of copy ,it's just a touch brighter and shinier than i 'vie seen but it does have white bits and air bubbles encased in it and good wear on the base.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 06:34:37 PM »
the stopper on this decanter isn't remotely like a bull's eye (target) design, and think you'll find that a mallet decanter has either straight sides or, like its wooden namesake, expands slightly toward the base - not decreasing in width like this one :)

Outside of the standard shapes there are probably some 'in-between' sorts that are difficult to pin down exactly,    My personal opinion is that this piece is too lightweight, the stopper is wrong for the period and the colour would need to be a little greyer. :)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 09:55:43 PM »
Thanks for the input paul,i meant the one to try to find should be a bullseye type,could take some time ;)..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand