No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help identifying antique vaseline? glass vase  (Read 1167 times)

Offline tycoontim

• Members
Help identifying antique vaseline? glass vase
« on: October 28, 2013, 03:58:32 AM »
Hi all,

Picked up this vase the other day, but I am not sure on the maker or the age. There are some etched numbers on the base - I've done my best to read them, and I *think* they might be as follows:

06327(4,6 or 9)8

The second last number is pretty illegible - and could either be a 4,6 or 9.

The other mark looks to be '7F'

Any help on this piece would be greatly appreciated. I can provide further photos if required.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Help identifying antique vaseline? glass vase
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 07:26:26 AM »
It's late 19th C and could be English or Bohemian. I would suggest that any marks are by a previous owner. This sort of glass is rarely marked, as that requires an additional step and therefore more cost. Mostly the stuff that is, is enamelled. When you say etched, how was it etched?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 09:33:30 AM »
could it be an Rd number maybe? for registered design.
m

Offline tycoontim

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 09:39:15 AM »
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm not sure how the number was etched - but it does look amateurish, and can be felt under the nail.

The mark that looks like '7F' appears to have been acid etched - but I don't really know anything about glass as it is.

Offline tycoontim

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 09:39:51 AM »
could it be an Rd number maybe? for registered design.
m

Thanks for the idea - I will see if there's anything I can dig up with regards to that.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 10:07:36 AM »
the number as you've given it (06327(4,6 or 9)8) would date to c.1914.  That is late for that type of vase I think? and the '0' in front is a bit odd.  Perhaps that is a letter? i.e. part of the 'Rd' which might be on there before the number.

Can you try and either read it with a magnifying glass over it, or photograph it with a light shining holding the vase away form the light so it highlights the number please?
m

Offline tycoontim

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 11:43:21 AM »
the number as you've given it (06327(4,6 or 9)8) would date to c.1914.  That is late for that type of vase I think? and the '0' in front is a bit odd.  Perhaps that is a letter? i.e. part of the 'Rd' which might be on there before the number.

Can you try and either read it with a magnifying glass over it, or photograph it with a light shining holding the vase away form the light so it highlights the number please?
m

Photos of the base attached. I couldn't get a photo, or even find the other mark - so it might be that this is the only bit that's etched, after all! I've attached a few as it was hard to photograph - these ones are the best of the bunch.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 12:31:09 PM »
that reads 0632798 and I think it was done properly rather than scratched on by someone
Is there nothing before the 'O' ?  I was just wondering if the '0' was actually a 'D' and therefore might have an 'R' in front of it?  Edited to add that no, I can see from your second pic there is nothing in front of it.

If it relates to a reg design number then it would be 1914 which I think might be a bit late but perhaps not ?

I wonder could it be a pattern number?
m

Offline tycoontim

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 09:31:21 PM »
that reads 0632798 and I think it was done properly rather than scratched on by someone
Is there nothing before the 'O' ?  I was just wondering if the '0' was actually a 'D' and therefore might have an 'R' in front of it?  Edited to add that no, I can see from your second pic there is nothing in front of it.

If it relates to a reg design number then it would be 1914 which I think might be a bit late but perhaps not ?

I wonder could it be a pattern number?
m

Thanks for the ideas - I'll have a few places to do some searches a bit later on at least! I've had a quick look at RD numbers online, but couldn't find much there. If it's a design number - I'm not sure where I'd even go to look this up, let alone a possible manufacturer.

It could well be then, that a previous owner had this etched onto the glass itself.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 09:48:30 PM »
I don't know, but if it were mine, my thoughts would be that it had been etched in-house i.e. at the maker.  So it could be a pattern number.  However unless you know the maker and can then look the pattern number up in the pattern books, that would be an impossible task.

Stevens and Williams pattern books are not publicly available as far as I know.  There are pattern number in Walsh Walsh book but I can't find mine at the moment to check.  It looks as though it might be a Boulton and Mills piece potentially but I've no idea where their number would be found.

Maybe someone with more information might be able to help.
I'll look up the Walsh number as soon as I find my book and let you know if I find anything.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand