No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby Lozenge details help  (Read 1103 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Sowerby Lozenge details help
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 07:49:43 PM »
So I did, Paul.

These lists of numbers are making my brain hurt, and it obviously upsets the co-ordination between my eyes and fingers. I think I will have to go and lie down in a darkened room for a few weeks (until after Christmas might be nice).

I will add RD 384453 to the GMB RD lookup request list as a matter of course.

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Keencollector

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 09:04:28 PM »
Thanks Paul and Fred for your interest.  The plot thickens.

Sowerby mark is actually on both pieces.  The jug seems to be manufactured  in four sections as they can be clearly felt but cannot see any lines in the bowl. 

I didn't realise that the markings on the CD lozenge may be generic as hadn't read where it was discussed on the GMB.  As to the markings that are visable, the class III is on both but on the bowl only the outline of the diamond is visable.  The glass is a little rough on the inside of these bulbous sections around the bottom of bowl/dish.   On the jug, the diamond is on one of these bulbous sections that is pushed out to the outside adjoining the base.  When one looks straight down into the jug the visable R looks to be in bottom of the diamond.  When you tilt it a little to the side there seems to be more of the diamond on the side of the piece.  I very awkward place .  I now think that the R could be in middle of diamond for Rd.   Sorry for my confusion, it's difficult to view.  I cannot decipher the L or K now, must have seen this on the CD.

The jug is only 6 1/2 cm high, it's bowl is 6 1/2 cm wide and handle to spout at widest point 9 1/2 cm.
The bowl is 13 cm wide and 6 cm high.

I have seen Rd314279 in the colour of Fred's photo but mine is actually the same as this sugar and jug.  Can't believe that I hadn't noticed this before.

and 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 09:28:29 PM »
as discussed, here is a picture of the National Archive image of Sowerby Rd. 384453

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 09:55:06 PM »
should have added the Kew Archive Representation reference which is BT 43/63.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 10:05:59 PM »
Thank you, Paul.

Will request that RD 384453 be deleted from the GMB RD lookup request list forthwith.

Fred.

Offline Keencollector

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 01:29:48 AM »
Thanks Paul for looking at  that number at Kew.  Looks like we are back to square one as that registration certainly doesn't look like my bowl pattern 1728? to me.  Anyone have any other suggestions to help in finding registration details of bowl and jug pictured in my initial enquiry.  Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand