No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Maker of bubble paperweight from Ovington's New York USA ca. 1940?  (Read 1251 times)

Offline fourgoldfish

• Members
Hi! I bought this paperweight because I thought it was neat and now I'm wondering if anyone might know the maker? It was retailed by Ovington's New York circa 1940 for $1.75.  The aren't any maker marks on it. It's 3.5" x 2.75" (8.9cm x 7cm). I emailed Pairpoint Glass just to ask them and they said they didn't know since they don't have records of stuff like this. Anyhow, if it looks familiar to anyone would you kindly share your thoughts? Thank you for your time. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline fourgoldfish

• Members
Re: Maker of bubble paperweight from Ovington's New York USA ca. 1940?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 06:28:51 AM »
I think I found some similarly faceted paperweights described only as "antique Bohemian" on this site, http://paperweightcollection.com/paperweight%20website/antiquebohemian.htm. Mine just has bubbles and not the elaborate stuff that's in the ones on the site. I just really like the bubbles. They remind me of a Christmas tree.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline fourgoldfish

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 03:55:34 PM »
I removed the labels just to see if there was some sort of mark underneath them. Of course there isn't. I didn't buy it for the labels, though, and they interfered with the bubbles. I think it looks better without the labels. Wouldn't it be neat if the little bubbles were different colors? And here's a close-up of the price tag where there's barely left the written 1.75 price.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline fourgoldfish

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 09:34:04 PM »
After figuring out keywords to search for I'm pretty sure this is Bohemian glass from the 1920-1940 period. Neat. And when I put a flashlight under it the bubbles look even more like a Christmas tree! :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand