No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gray-Stan lidded dish  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Emu

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Gray-Stan lidded dish
« on: November 19, 2013, 12:25:48 PM »
Hello,
I wonder if anyone knows anything about this dish. We went to an auction a few years ago and bought a box of glasses for our own use ( wine, beer, brandy,tumblers etc) and this dish was in amongst them. It is grey on the outside and white on the inside. It is in perfect condition considering the way it was just chucked under the drinking glasses in a big cardboard box.

I think it dates from the 1920s to 1930s .

Any more info would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone. :)

Offline Emu

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Re: Gray-Stan lidded dish
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 12:27:42 PM »
oh I forgot to post pic of signature...
Here it is..

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 02:25:42 PM »
Hi, there's a little more information on the board on Gray-Stan or Graystan glass and I know Nigel has some info on his site if you google Graystan or Gray Stan or Gray-Stan, or even Graydon-Stannus I think.
Whichever, your bowl is quite rare as far as I know but Nigel may have more to add on it if he sees this thread.
It was produced iirc around the late 1920's early 1930's (no time to look up specifics at the moment).
The glasshouse was very short lived but did make imho, some gorgeous pieces of glass :)
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 07:52:30 PM »
is it possible please to post larger format pictures with better resolution  -  if you can re-size so that the first dimension is 700 then this will be very useful.       thanks.
Regret I wouldn't know if this was Gray-Stan or not, but the shape is probably that of a powder bowl  -  there is something very similar in Dodsworth's 'British Glass Between the Wars' - page 43.                  It seems that Gray-Stan pieces do occur as colour cased over white, with a further final clear casing  -  it might help to know if this piece has a clear outer casing. 

Are you there Nigel :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 07:56:12 PM »
It is marked, Paul, and it certainly looks right for Grey-Stan.
I've not seen any in monotone before - not that I've seen much at all.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 08:15:17 PM »
you're right about the colour being very unusual Sue  -  in all the books I've just looked at  there is nothing remotely like this  -   they are all rather bright pastel colours  -  but I know less than nothing about this particular studio.
The fact that something is signed is not always a guarantee of authenticity  -  however, I suspect you're right - at least I hope it's genuine, and perhaps a rare colourway. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 08:51:39 PM »
I think a faked Gray-Stan signature would be unlikely?  The sig though small, looks right to me.  The colour is lovely.  There is a powder bowl in Charles Hajdamach's 20th Century British Glass in a different decor. Page 94
Please can you upload bigger pictures with pixel size 600x 400 so they an enlarge, particularly the side on one of the pot with lid on and also the pontil mark on the base?
Many thanks

Gray-Stan sometimes has more than two colours but I most often only see pieces with two , a colour and white.

The book shows a catalogue page with a variety of colours named after flowers and says probably an early catalogue and  dates 1925/26.
m

Offline Emu

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 10:51:53 PM »
Thanks for your replies everyone.

I'm sorry that the photos are rubbish and they don't do the bowl justice. It looks a lot better in real life.
It is a lighter grey colour in the ''flesh''. There is a layer of clear glass encasing the grey mottling.

I will try and take some better photos of it tommorrow and try to get better pics of the signature and pontil.

I have seen some Gray_Stan glass on the internet when I googled it but they all seem to be vases and more colourful.
I haven't been able to find any like this bowl which I think is a powder bowl as Paul says. :)

Offline Emu

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 05:32:26 PM »
Hi all..
I didn't have time to post new pics yesterday. I took new photos today but not that good I'm afraid. It's the best I can do 'cos I had to take photos with my tablet and not a proper camera and Gray_Stan signature hasn't come out very well but I think better than the first photos I posted on here.

Offline Emu

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 05:34:30 PM »
....2 more. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum