No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fairy lamp dome Davidson RD 130643, 13 August 1889  (Read 3887 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Fairy lamp dome Davidson RD 130643, 13 August 1889
« on: November 27, 2013, 08:17:05 PM »
A small Clarke's pyramid fairy lamp comprising a pyramid-size opalescent yellow glass panelled dome on a clear glass candle cup with the base embossed S.CLARKE FAIRY PYRAMID with dancing fairy trademark at the centre resting on a matching opalescent glass base. The inside of the dome is embossed RD. 430643  – an April 1904 design registration number.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by Simon Warden).

RD 430643 is not in Jenny Thompson,
or Great Glass at  http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/regnos06.htm
or listed at
http://www.fairy-lamp.com/Fairylamp/FairyLampDesignNumbers_All.html
and too early for the Blue Book.

Does anyone have any information as to the precise registration details for RD 430643, please – or is this yet another challenge for Paul S via the GMB RD lookup requests?

I believe that Clarke contracted out the manufacture of all its glassware, so I suppose it is not unlikely that the yellow opalescent components could well have been made by Davidson.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Quite possibly another CLASS 4 item  - if you add to the list I'll do my best to research at Kew in the coming days.  :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Thank you , Paul - will do.

Fred.

Offline Keencollector

• Members
Re: Fairy lamp dome RD 430643, April 1904 – ?
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 10:43:38 AM »
I did purchase this fairy light as I knew it to be a Davidson dome in their "Brideshead" pattern.  I have a blue one also but the clear Clarks fairy light base is in a different pattern on this.
The registration number should be 130643.

I do not think the fluted primrose pearline bowl was meant to be partnered with the light.  This is Davidsons "Kings Panel" and was manufactured in fluted and not fluted rim and has a matching jug. These are more or less miniature in size. 

This is my opinion only from experience in collecting pearline.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I wondered about the two bases last night but a bit of rooting revealed such things are around (not in these designs though), so I ignored my thought. Margaret's thoughts confirm my suspicions - the Pearline base is not a good fit

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Thank you, Margaret – well spotted, and expertly corrected.

I hope your purchase survives (or has survived) the trip to Australia this time.

So, just to clarify, Davidson RD 130643 was registered on 13 August 1889, and “Brideshead” is the pattern name often ascribed to the pattern by American (and other) Davidson collectors. 

This is certainly the first fairy light dome I’ve seen in the pattern, and interesting to learn that you have a blue pearline example too.

I will draw Jim Sapp’s attention to this number re.
http://www.fairy-lamp.com/Fairylamp/FairyLampDesignNumbers_All.html

I will also contact the moderators regarding a change in the topic title to reflect your expert correction of my initial erroneous RD number – perhaps “Fairy lamp dome Davidson RD 130643, 13 August 1889”.

Fred.

Offline Keencollector

• Members
Re: Fairy lamp dome RD 430643
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 11:34:54 AM »
Would you like photos of blue version of the fairy light and the matching items to "Kings Panel" bowl for reference?

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Yes please, Margaret.

Fred.

Offline Jim Sapp

• Members
    • http://www.fairylampclub.com
Re: Fairy lamp dome Davidson RD 130643, 13 August 1889
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 01:51:15 PM »
Yes, the fluted base is not intended to go with the Davidson shade.  The clear Clarke lamp cup with the swirl was actually designed for another fairy lamp from another company.  The more appropriate Clarke cup with the diamond pattern is a better match.

There are two blue variants of the Davidson design, one a dark blue and the other a very light blue.   There is also a seldom seen amber color.   I would post articles on these lamps but I can't get to my files right now.

Jim.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand