No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ronald Stennet Wilson?  (Read 1899 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Ronald Stennet Wilson?
« on: November 29, 2013, 01:43:55 PM »
Hi again, the only match i can find for this 20cm ht vase is Wedgewood,but no mark on the base?!?any thoughts,many thanks.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Ronald Stennet Wilson?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 10:40:06 PM »
I've done a bit more research into RSW and if this is a piece by him it could be pre 69 when Wedgewood took control of the firm,so dating it between 67 and 69.

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 01:04:04 AM »
Hi, it does look like a Wedgwood Cylinder vase.  Here is mine - http://20cglass.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=54_23_24&products_id=270 - and you might like to check the dimensions.  Being hand-blown of course there may be a difference but it should be slight.

Neil

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 09:50:41 AM »
Thanks Neil,i've looked them up on RSW's site and there were 3 sizes for wedgewood 7.5",9"and 10",mine is just over 8" and 20.5cm which makes me feel this is very much a kings Lyn era piece rather than a Wedgewood,probably something to do with accountants ;)

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 10:01:09 AM »
Hi again. There are two reasons why Wedgwood (please note, no second "e" in Wedgwood) glass may have no sand blasted mark (they didn't use acid etching) and one of them is that it may be an early Kings Lynn Glass piece.  Typically the lower the RSW number the more likely that it was made prior to the acquisition by Wedgwood.  The RSW20 numbr suggests therefore that it was probably made both before and after the acquisition.  The other reason is that it may be a second.  Seconds weren't marked.  Hope this helps.

Neil

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 10:50:25 AM »
Thanks again Neil,sorry a bout my spelling,i'm one of those who who doesn't see words very easily so the checker is a great help!but i've had alot to do with the Wedgwood family so i should have got that right! :-[.It's not a second and i have read somewhere that changes were made,it could have been slight colour changes and i'll try and find the reference again,thanks again for your help.

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 11:02:56 AM »
No worries.  My son is dyslexic so I'm fully aware of how worms (sic) can move around on a page.  Good luck with it.  I like mine very much.  The silver sand variants are even nicer.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 12:30:47 PM »
I've an amethyst cylinder that's unmarked, so obviously there are some floating around without the backstamp - must admit I didn't know it meant a second.             Generally, although these cylinder vases are simple pieces they are well made..........  the base depression has quality, as with the casing and a good weight to them.
This one looks to be right, and has appropriate wear.                        Without a label don't know how you tell the difference between these and Lemington.........I think we've chatted about this before.

attached is a pic of the base showing the backstamp on a 9" vase (just less by a very small amount as Neil suggests).

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 02:16:16 PM »
Hi Paul,i agree they are good quality,just out of interest have you measured the unmarked one

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 05:58:55 PM »
Looking in Hajdamach's 'C20 Glass' much of the Wedgwood production seems to be a variety of sizes.            I'm not too well up on RSW material, but just measured some of my cylinder shaped vases - shown in the attached pix  -  and they come out at............white 10"  -  Cranberry 9.1/16"  -  amethyst (unmarked) 9.75"  -  blue 9"  -  textured amethyst 9.5/16".

sorry the pix are abysmal - had to retrieve glass from the shed and took snaps in the wrong sort of light.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand