No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery Goblet  (Read 1673 times)

Offline nosloz

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • england
Mystery Goblet
« on: December 04, 2013, 04:08:05 PM »
Anybody,

Can anybody identify this goblet.
The lozenge appears, repeat, appears to read 8, 2, 4, 1 or an I.
I know this does not follow the known sequence of letters and numbers, and choose how hard I try various combinations, I just get nowhere.
Any offers - please!

NosLoz

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Mystery Goblet
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 08:17:37 PM »
The pattern/ design appears to be identical to the second from left goblet shown in Raymond Slack's 'English Pressed Glass - 1830 to 1900' - page 116 - black and white plate No. 84.           The caption to this one says............"Registered to James Derbyshire & Bros., 16th June 1866.

I know we've discussed the authenticity of this group previously - but I've forgotten the conclusion regarding this particular item  -  which may well agree genuinely with the text  -  but from memory I think there was something amiss with one of the pieces.

I'm sure there is something on the Board's search archive, if I knew where to look :)

Nice goblet by the way.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:19:14 PM »
If I haven't said it before - welcome to the GMB :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 08:33:39 PM »
lozenge details for that date should read, going clockwise starting from the top (first series of diamond Registrations)  -  Q(1866)  -  16(day)  -  4 (parcel No.)  -  M (month).             So you have one out of four correct.                 Obviously something wrong somewhere - perhaps Fred has the answer. :)
Year codes for the entire diamond lozenge period are upper case letter, and not Nos.

Offline nosloz

• Members
    • england
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 08:38:08 PM »
Hmmm,

Yeah, but 16/06/1866 should read Q 16 4 M from the top, and it does, it's also a different shape, see picture.

Got to admit the 4 at the bottom fits, but!

One curious point is that this one, like most lozenges reads "RD" in the middle, the object in question only has an "R".

Is this a clue?

NosLoz

Offline nosloz

• Members
    • england
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 09:11:31 PM »
Paul,

Having asked the question, I now have both goblets together probably for the first time. The known one, Q 16 4 M, when looked at in a fresh light has the same sort of 4, the Q, could, if you did not know it, may be mistaken for an 8, the 16, if viewed upside down, does resemble the "2", and the "M" is very indistinct. It is only from having a picture of this that I know it is Q 16 4 M. Thus it may be possible that the mystery goblet has the 16 upside down, with the 1 a bit vague. Leaves the "I"/"1" to be the "M"!

Furthermore two goblets were registered on the same day, 274962 aka Q 16 4 M, and 274963.  I am suggesting that this mystery one may be 274963. And they do have an indisputable similarity. Can you or anybody else confirm this?

NosLoz

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 09:29:18 PM »
not sure that I'd agree with your 'indisputable' - to me the pattern looks quite different.         The Rd. Nos. 274962/3  -  for those who may not know  -  are from August 1873, and I'm sure now that it was a similarly related matter of confusion that caused the discussion previously.

Will need to investigate further.............    meantime, I know that Neil has information on Derbyshire goblets, so perhaps he is able to comment and help possibly.

Neil........... :)

Offline nosloz

• Members
    • england
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 09:34:58 PM »
Hmmm,

Yeah, apologies, got excited & confused. The second picture is 198277 from James Derbyshire on 16/6/1866.

I muddled it up with 274962 by John Derbyshire.

Back to square 1.

NosLoz

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 10:39:23 PM »
assume from what you're saying now that your second, taller goblet, does have a lozenge showing data for 16.06.1866, which would seem to prove a J.D. provenance for Rd. 198277.                 
Unfortunately, this is where the confusion arises I think, because......................the goblet that Raymond Slack shows, and which agrees with your first design, is given an identical attribution IN THE BOOK............despite being, obviously, a different design.

So it would seem that the book example that matches your shorter goblet is not Rd. 198277 - although that's not to say that it isn't from J.D. - just that it seems not to be 198277  -  of course it could well be from another factory.

I seem to remember speaking to Ray some time back about this particular matter, although he's no spring chicken now and unfortunately wasn't able to recall exactly the details surrounding these goblets.

So...............anyone else have an idea for the first piece showing here. :)

Offline nosloz

• Members
    • england
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 03:55:09 PM »
Well, well. well,

I have just been shown a goblet, exactly the same as this one, with a lozenge showing, quite clearly Q 16 4 M !

What's more, in the centre is a single "R".

So, same registration lozenge, but two different designs!

Nosloz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand