No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Georgian or Victorian ?  (Read 928 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Is this Georgian or Victorian ?
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 01:00:20 PM »
quote................."my problem is i collect everything"...............    someone else who lives in a castle then ;) ;D

I've tried it, but three bed semi's can take only so much glass.................    but there is some satisfaction in refining and reducing your area of interest, when you're only a collector only.             It has the side benefit of reducing the amount of knowledge/books etc. that you need, and helps you to spot the rarities better.............or at least that's what I tell myself.

But of course if your bag is to be a dealer, then good luck, although I'd never be able to part with the good bits. :)   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Is this Georgian or Victorian ?
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 04:15:20 PM »
I am in the same boat as Bruce as a Jack of All Trades...Master of None when it comes to glass. I collected U.S. glass animals for over 20 years & picked a few things to support my collection so I had to develop a knowledge base of U.S. manufacturers. Then I had two kids in college at the same time when eBay started so in 97 I put up a spare pair of Cambridge Scotty bookends & was astonished when they brought 4X what I paid for them so long story short I ended up selling around 150 animals (goodbye collection) by late 99 & a few other things I picked during the years which fully paid for two college educations. So for the last 14 years I started picking up a wide variety of things to sell, especially the last 10 since I retired & even started picking European at times if it was good quality, but my knowledge of European is sadly lacking (thats why I come here). Its pretty much run full circle as during the past year DW & I have sold off 95% of our U.S. collection to other collectors & dealers (and in two mall showcases)as kid's (ages 37 & 40) really didn't want to deal with this after we had gone so pretty much all we have left is European although I still pick good U.S. but it has to be really good.

Roughly 38 years of doing this on the side has been a blast & I have grown to appreciate glass from just about everywhere as long as its real quality & not junk.  Salviati? yeah me too...recently sold two perfume urns Ivo ided for me...didn't really want to, but had a Godfather offer from a perfume/vanity collector so they went to someone who would appreciate them.

On cut glass...speaking of the U.S. only, I think the problem has always been attribution to a particular cutting shop/company as it takes years of study with the pattern books since 95% of ABP was not signed to develop any expertise as so many patterns  resemble one another & it takes a specifically trained eye to tell who did what.  Best stop rambling on now. Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand