No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: clear glass vase/drinking glass with textured surface.  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
clear glass vase/drinking glass with textured surface.
« on: December 24, 2013, 12:29:52 PM »
a simple piece but with features that suggest quality  -  heavy for size and very long ring when flicked (some lead content presumably), with large polished depression on base (some grinding very feint grinding marks remain).
Appears to have been used as a vase, but feels very good as drinking glass when held - probably holds little less than a pint.

Height is a tad over 6.5" (170mm), and some genuine wear on outer foot rim, so could be anywhere in last 30 - 50 years.            In view of textured surface, first thoughts were Scandi in origin, but not my area so really only guessing.

All thoughts received gratefully  -  thanks for looking - and a Happy and peaceful Yuletide to one and all. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: clear glass vase/drinking glass with textured surface.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 04:07:27 PM »
It's not desperately unlike the Japanese water set design, but the glasses which go with that have a triangular shaped base...
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 05:57:29 PM »
Looks very similar to a lot of iittala glass i have recently sold, similar base, they also had a nice ring to them, iv'e done a quick google search but can't find this design, i have sold some beer glasses recently by Tapio Wirkkala there often described as vases. Merry christmas to you all. chris.
Chris Parry

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 06:07:44 PM »
You're possibly thinking ofthe Aslak design, Chris? - they do look like vases. They're also a lot more "rugged" than this in texture. (I've got one myself, Aslak, that is).  I don't have a pic of my Japanese water set to hand....

but have gone and taken one. It looks less like your glass than I originally thought.  :-[

And the base is completely different.

I am now wondering about France as an origin?
I've got a sort of textured pint tumbler, the texture looks very similar, but the pint glass is quite thick and chunky. (A bit of an ugly brute that just hasn't made its way back to a charity shop yet). It's on the top shelf of a high cabinet in the kitchen, behind the tree. (no room for the tree in the sitting room) I can't access that for a pic. right now.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 06:30:32 PM »
Yes your right had a good pint out the last one before i sold it,  i can't believe you can buy it for the price of an ikea glass, in fact i'm going to put the one on now i'm having a Christmas tot out of i think it's very old, there are a few iittala designs that are tricky to find, well for me anyway.
Chris Parry

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 06:45:53 PM »
I gather you have been gathering glass of several sorts for some time, Chris? ;D
How come it's taken so long for you to find us? ;)
Have you been rooting around all on your ownsome?  :'(
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 07:04:07 PM »
I've no idea but i'm glad i have , i could post something different on here every day for the next three years at the last count, although most is in storage i've kept about 1000 pieces in the house, by the order of the wife, when it get's to much i fill a couple more boxes and have a clear out, even though i have a lot of glass it just shows how little i know about it all.
Chris Parry

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 07:15:40 PM »
It's about time you found some of your own species. ::)  ;) ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 11:00:30 PM »
many thanks Sue and Chris for your ideas and suggestions. :)               I get the impression that you're both inclined toward this piece being a drinking glass  -  which may well be correct, but I can say it does have a 'tide line' an inch or so down from the top  -  maybe its owner was in favour of versatility.
I'm still of the opinion that Scandinavian is high on the list of probabilities - and it does have quality  -  but so much has come from that region in the last half century and I gave up collecting from that area some while back.              It's just my opinion, and based very loosely on pix in books and the fact that Mr. Baxter - I believe - also took his ideas for textured surfaces from Scandinavia..............although I appreciate that the surface on this one is not as pronounced as his bark pattern.                  Sounds as though I should have been saying.........'his bark was worse than his bite'. ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 11:32:46 AM »
Mr. Harris got the ideas from working with Mr. Sarpaneva, before chatting to Mr. Baxter...  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand