No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green roemmer  (Read 725 times)

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
Green roemmer
« on: January 10, 2014, 11:47:02 AM »
I'm not a big fan of these German style roemmer glasses but this one took my fancy. I don't know when and where it was made.

I believe the material is lead glass - it has a wonderful ring when tapped. The glass contains small air bubbles and some inclusions and there are toolmarks on the bowl. The stem is decorated with prunts and the foot has concentric rings on it. The base is quite flatbut has a broken off pontil mark.

Any ideas? Many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Green roemmer
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 06:17:23 PM »
Hiya,i've seen these described as bristol green roemmer William iv, 1830ish.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 08:12:31 PM »
not something that I collect either, and regret unable to date the piece  -  this green has been around for a long time.

However, just wondered if in fact this particular construction is classified as a roemer  -  those I've seen usually have a wide hollow stem decorated with prunts, and a flared foot decorated with trailing.            Perhaps it depends on which country you're in.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 09:12:35 AM »
wijnglas met halfronde kelk, de cilindrische schacht versierd met noppen en een draadglasvoet, bestemd voor rijnwijn. De inhoud ervan staat niet vast, aangezien voor de glazen verschillende hoogten worden opgegeven, variërend van 6,5 tot 30 cm.

This is the definition of Roemer in Dutch. "Wine glass with a semirounded bowl and a cylindrical stem decorated with prunts, destined for Rhine wines. The content is not given as for these glasses different heights are given ranging from 6,5 to 30 cms."

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 04:54:50 PM »
Hi Stuart, dating roemers such as this is not always easy but one indication is how the trailing on the foot is produced.  In the earliest roemers the foot was made by a thick trail of glass that was coiled like a snake to make the foot.  This was then replaced by a plain glass foot onto which a thin trail of glass was spun.  More modern roemers have moulded feet to produce the same spiraled glass effect.  These moulded glasses are indented on the inside of the foot to produce the coiled ribs on the outside and are easily spotted.  I can't see properly from your picture as to which type of foot the glass has (probably my eyes rather than your picture).  Early 19th century roemers should not have moulded feet.  This is my understanding of their evolution.  Hope this helps.

Best wishes
Neil

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 08:31:02 PM »
Here´s a diagram I photographed in an exhibition, which shows the earliest developments from
´Krautstrunk´ (now, if that doesn´t sound german lol) to Römer/ Rummer.
Stephan´s site shows a lot shapes from 19th century onwards when you follow the links at the
end of this page:
http://www.roemer-aus-theresienthal.de/buch2.html

Personally I´d say your glass is 20th century, not at least because of the fire polished pontil
mark.  :)
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 08:36:57 PM »
Thanks Neil and Dirk

Taking into account the info you've very kindly given me I tend to agree that it's 20th century. But I only paid loose change for it - sio I guess that's cheap learning!

Thans

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 08:44:57 PM »
I didn´t mean to diminish your find with this dating. I think it´s a well-balanced and skilled
modern interpretation of an old shape.
I wouldn´t be surprised if someone more knowledgeable in this area would be able to
attribute it to at least a good house, if not even a known designer of the early 20th century.

...working on it...

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 08:54:33 PM »
Dirk - reply does not diminish. No problem from my end, I'm just trying to learn and seek the truth.

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 09:00:36 PM »
 :)
BTW I just found on the Theresienthal pages that the slightly squat shape might indicate 1930´s:
http://www.roemer-aus-theresienthal.de/nach1930.html

...working on it...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand