No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: WEBB ?  (Read 1916 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: WEBB ?
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 11:45:20 AM »
Thanks m&c,interesting not least for the variation in amethyst colours,it's similar to the colour i posted first and i bet it's not quite the same in the real, same as  mine.I'm still waiting for someone to post a Webb the same and considering they are more common it's surprising no one has got one.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 03:33:54 PM »
quote from John  ...........   "I think it is easier to chase your own tail than compare colours via photographs. ;D" .....    I think that was one of the best comments in this thread  -  trying to compare pix on the screen is very defeating at times.

Regret I can't help bat with the request for a T/Webb marked amethyst example identical to the piece posted first of all.

It's unfortunate that with such well known and collected factories as these two, we don't yet have an authoratitive published guide to their post 1920's output.                 I wonder if it is worth me suggesting that we make some sort of effort in that direction by having a T/Webb and/or Richardson section in the Board's Glass Gallery - with catptioned info - so that a small visual library of sorts is provided for id.
I do have a few pieces that could be included, and I'm sure that others would contribute.                          Is that feasible Mods??    :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 12:02:21 PM »
Do we have a pre-1920's reference for Richardson?
Having spent months chasing my tail on my blue Etruscan vase, I finally accumulated enough evidence to make me feel confident to send a request for help.  If Richardson are going to be done it would be good to do the 'whole' thing I think - unless there is one out there?

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 02:37:43 PM »
sorry to seem thick m, but not entirely sure what you mean by..........................  "Do we have a pre-1920's reference for Richardson?"  :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 02:41:57 PM »
just that you talked about having a post 1920's reference and I'd like one pre as well :)
In fact, I'd just like a proper individual reference guide for each of Richardson (lots of info in CH British Glass 1800-1914), Stevens and Williams, Thomas Webb and Stuart full stop  ;D for the whole period from start to finish.
m

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 03:26:11 PM »
Anne kindly helped me set up a Sowerby photo reference gallery on the GMB’s Glass Queries Gallery at
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php
and the GMB’s photo reference gallery of Registered Designs is already there too.

I can’t see that there should be a major problems in setting up any number of other ‘Individual Company or Type Projects’ in the same location. I suggest that you contact Anne direct by email though the GMB with the putative descriptive ‘blurb’ for the requisite gallery and await her usual helpful reply.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 05:30:28 PM »
my comments m were meant to read as..........  "I wish someone would publish a book, with as comprehesive a coverage as possible, showing all of the known T/Webb colours and shapes" .......    I'd be the first in the queue to buy a copy  -  and of course the same goes for Stuart.
As can be seen in Gulliver and elsewhere, there appears to have been a keen-ness in the second half of the C19 for patents and Registrations, although it seems to have waned in the C20  -  perhaps other events occupied peoples minds.            As far as I know, T/Webb didn't seem to register their C20 designs/shapes, so outside of a few items in CH, for example, we don't have an authoratitive pictorial guide.

But then perhaps that would make like too easy ;)

Some of the iconic Richardson designs - I'm thinking of those Roman and Greek characters on vases etc., appear in the Nat. Archive pix, but there may have been other gems that they produced which don't occur there.
Regret that Richardson's output in both centuries is not something I'm remotely knowledgable about, and I see them only occasionally when I'm ploughing through the Archive pix - usually when I'm looking for other things.

My earlier comments about having a GMB archive of T/Webb pix doesn't have much appeal perhaps  -  I suspect that there aren't too many folk who take an interest in that factory.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 05:38:27 PM »
 I'm very interested in Richardson's and just WISH I could see the archive pictures  :'(
I dare not ask you for any more help  ;D  but if Broadfield House don't come up trumps ... I can't believe I lived a short hop from the archives for so many years, yet never collected glass then. 

Yes it would make life to easy.  But I can't seem to find anything on T Webb 19th c. or early 20th  apart from cameo , the museum collections which are not extensive online images it has to be said (V&A please can you photograph your glass collection? ) and the same old misattributions on the net (probably), and the odd couple of vases in other books and museum. 
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand