No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Uranium Plinth ID Please  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Large Uranium Plinth ID Please
« on: January 29, 2014, 04:04:49 PM »
 Just got back from the Flea Market with my latest finds...this was the most unusual item I bought today, the seller thought it was a flower pot for a grave !! Don't know where he got that from, I think it has something to do with traffic bollards !? It is uranium and glows very brightly....what does any one else think?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Uranium traffic Bollard ???
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 04:33:07 PM »
I think the seller may well have been correct. Massive displays of ornaments on graves are not common where I live, (Scotland), but my OH is from Eire, and we've been to the graveyard in his home town on many (sad) occassions.

There are several graves of travellers there, they are decorated and ornamented and full of sculptures and pots of flowers, and garlands of flowers - and cherubs and angels and sets of praying hands sticking up out from the ground, there are those plastic balls full of water and plastic flowers, there are ornamented bottles of holy water everywhere. You can tell a traveller's grave from all the others - they are decorated up like beacons, standing several feet above all the others, and all spread out too.

I have learned what a lot of very strange things are, from looking at those graves. :-\
This would be quite at home there, especially with a bouquet of (plastic) flowers in it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 05:03:12 PM »
I just realised that the piece with a hole in it fits on the bottom like a plinth  :) The grave idea sounds horrendous...it's far to nice for that  ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 05:07:25 PM »
I've seen similarly shaped things in cast concrete on those ott graves. Honestly! They are really, really morbidly fascinating.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 10:45:06 PM »
Just worked out what it is..I (and the seller) had it upside down..it's a huge plinth!! ;D I must be having a senior moment!! I have pictured it with my Jobling jade bowl to give you some idea of scale...any ideas who might have made it ???

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 07:09:31 AM »
It's not a plinth; I'm pretty sure you had it the right way round first time. You wouldn't need two bits for a plinth. Actual dimensions would help

Offline Fen

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 08:20:36 AM »
With the hole at the top it reminds me of my grandmother's umbrella stand!

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 12:26:42 PM »
Christine - I am pretty sure it is a plinth I have seen similar ones in marble......  it measures  6.5 inches high - top is 7 inches square - base is 8 inches square  - hole is 4.75 inches diameter. The wear on it is what made me turn it up the other way the wear it on the rim and you can see where the circular bit sat on top. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 12:31:36 PM »
Where the wear is is not always an accurate indicator of function, as it can indicate misuse (piano insulators as salts and ashtrays) or storage (upside down to keep the dust out). I think I'd need to see it in the flesh but I've never come across a two part plinth

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 12:54:18 PM »
I think I understand now what the seller was trying to tell me about it being used on a grave ..... the flower urn would sit securely in the circular bit or maybe it was meant to hold an urn of ashes  :D Whatever...I love it ...only wish the other one he had wasn't so damaged else I would have bought that one too!! Its definitely  meant to have the round bit on top it has been ground down on three sides to make it level to fit, and there is no wear at all on the piece with the hole in. Makes sense to have it in two pieces you could have a range of hole sizes to fit different size urns or vases. on the same base.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand