No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scramble maybe from Murano but how old?  (Read 2174 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Scramble maybe from Murano but how old?
« on: January 29, 2014, 06:00:50 PM »
I assume this has some age, perhaps late 19th or early 20th century. Is that about right and is it possible to attribute to a particular maker?

The dome is not at all smooth and there are bits of ash and frit scattered here there and everywhere, small snapped mark. 7cm in diameter and 4 and a bit cms high.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Scramble maybe from Murano but how old?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 09:15:31 PM »
Hi. I think it is hard to say exactly when some of these Murano scrambles were made.  I think that the style and colour of the ribbons, and use of large amounts of aventurine indicate 20th century, perhaps 1930 - 1970 period. To attribute to a maker is very difficult, as some glass factories made canes that were sold to others to use in paperweights.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 10:03:19 AM »
Thanks Alan, much appreciated.

I have to say this is unlike any other weight I have handled and nothing like the scramble weights that I see occasionally on my travels. The colours are not bright like those of the 50s and beyond. It has the feel of age, the dome is uneven and pockmarked, bubbles, frit and ash abound and the glass has a slight grey tint. Contrasting with the colours the aventurine is bright and fine.

This weight came from an auction, there was another there that looked to have Fratelli Toso canes dating from around 1910 in it but it was badly damaged.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 11:10:08 AM »

Hi.  I have been studying Murano canes for some time, and I am fascinated by your mention of dating specific Fratelli Toso canes to around 1910. Do you have any references or links to the source of this attribution - I would love to see them.

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 11:29:48 AM »
Just the info in Leslie Pina's book on Fratelli Toso, chapter 2.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 11:43:54 AM »

Thanks.

Alan

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 12:01:56 PM »
Here is an example, the cane with four red flowers, green stem and leaf. Page 32 shows a small vase with these same canes (dated 1900 - 1910). Sadly the book does not mention how long cane designs tended to be used for or whether they were revisited. It was my assumption that the chances were that this weight was contemporary to the vase, perhaps wishful thinking on my part.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 12:55:56 PM »

I would not rule out an earlier date for your scramble.  I have come across quite a few that I thought were late 19th century, and although the glass was rather dark and poor quality, with surface imperfections, the ribbons etc inside were very muted reds, blues and greens - not like the brighter pinks and blues in yours, hence my suggestion on date. But maybe yours is an odd one with brighter colours?

Alan

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 02:46:57 PM »
The colours do look a bit brighter in the photos than they do in 'the hand', perhaps something to do with my lights. Interesting, I will take another photo to compare when there is enough daylight, it is so overcast here today that my camera will struggle. Looks like there won't be a break in the rain clouds until Sunday!

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 10:48:16 AM »
These are as 'au naturel' as I can make them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand