No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bohemian glass article written 1851 Zahn, Günther, Egermann very exciting read  (Read 472 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I was so excited when I stumbled across this article. Written in 1851 after a visit there, the article is entitled  Glass  of Bohemia and starts on page 291

It mentions Zahn and Egermann and Charles Antoin Günther and discusses the enamelling and work on the glass, plus their houses etc.

I have no idea if the Charles Antoin  Günther is who I know as Carl Günther but the discussion of his work and how fabulous it is, makes me wonder.  I shall go and do some more digging.
 It's absolutely fascinating! 
It discusses how the houses are laid out and where the glass factories are etc.  It's like going back in time.  Amazing read.

Also talks about the gilding and the colours used and how the glass was made etc.  just fantastic information.

It also discusses how one person was enamelling insects and when the author questioned about them, he brought out a box of perfectly preserved specimens of insects from which he was accurately painting exactly those specimens on the glass - I need to link this to my insect jug as well :)

I will also make a link to my cameo glass vase thread which I hope dates to a similar period to this.

A fantastic insight into Glass making during that period. Sorry about my excitement but I find this kind of reading mesmerising :)
I might have added this one before and forgotten about it, but I don't think so.

Source: THE INTERNATIONAL MAGAZINE Of Literature, Art, and Science.Vol. IV. NEW-YORK,      OCTOBER 1, 1851.      No. III.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/36564/36564-h/36564-h.htm

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand