No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: flower/posy trough seeking id please.  (Read 551 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
flower/posy trough seeking id please.
« on: February 06, 2014, 01:56:27 PM »
Yesterday Roy posted a link to the French Meisenthal 1907 catalogue - page 135 - as this includes a pressed flower trough in the shape of a boat and was a possible connection to a separate current enquiry.

Looking at that page, I notice that Figure 2503 has a similarity to my half circle shaped trough (pix. attached).
Do people think this trough is the same as item 2503 showing in Pamela's Meisenthal catalogue - in this link.....
://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Meisenthal-1907.124+B6YmFja1BJRD0xMjQmcHJvZHVjdElEPTU1NjgmcGlkX3Byb2R1Y3Q9MTI0JmRldGFpbD0_.0.html

The vertical ribbing is identical and the veryt distinctive graduated pimpled decoration on the base could be a match as well - as with the notched rim.            Unfortunately, as with so many catalogue images, we can't see the entire surface area, so the studs on mine - acting as feet - are out of sight in the catalogue.                      Definitely no marks that I can find, and about 11.5" (290mm) at the widest point.

thanks for looking :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: flower/posy trough seeking id please.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 10:00:59 PM »
The catalogue drawing appears to have sloping sides. ???

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 12:10:51 AM »
agree that the sides definitely looked deliberately sloped in the catalogue pic.  Also, along the rim of the ends of your posy and theirs there are nobbles.  Their nobbles number 7 and appear to go right to the corner in the same size?  yours seems to have 7 nobbles but then a squareish bit on the two corners or at least a bigger nobble on each corner which makes it wider than the Meisenthal.

On all their pieces their nobbles appear to be a consistent size and they don't have 'corner' nobbles.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 07:21:16 AM »
I'm not sure how closely you can compare catalogue drawings with reality. The sloping sides are a perspective thing. These are not terribly sophisticated drawings compared with some.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 10:53:12 AM »
Granted, but I've just noticed that three of their patterns show a diamond feature on the interior base of the article.  Given all the differences, and that none are shown with feet, whereas for example in the Edward Moore patterns of 1888 CH British Glass 1800-1914 page 350, some of the articles are drawn with feet showing, I would still be circumspect that Paul's is Meisenthal.  Too many differences to the articles on the page I think  :-\

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 01:43:29 PM »
many thanks for looking people :)

Must confess m that I had completely forgotten the Ed. Moore patterns in CH  -  I'd ploughed through all the usual books on pressed glass and somehow seem to have overlooked CH.   
I agree with Lustrousstone's comment that drawings can often lack accuracy - a photo is so much better - and have to say that this one does appear to have more in common with the style of the Ed Moore examples.

So, as suggested, probably not from the Meisenthal range, and possibly from Ed Moore.        Perhaps Fred might like to comment on this as he certainly knows more about pressed glass than I do. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand