No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stevens and Williams Arboresque question  (Read 13527 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Stevens and Williams Arboresque question
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2014, 10:51:20 PM »
oh yes, also that (In my opinion it does look like it could have originated in the 30's - but I'm beginning to get slightly embarrassed that I'm questioning all these titles never mind other people's id's, believe it or not :)  )

With regards your comment re that white over pink crackle vase - aha ... I wondered where the 'Webb' attribution had come from as I'd seen my little yellow vase identified as Webb. 

I have another point though -

I'm just going back to The Crystal Years description of the 'Arboresque' range:
'This was a treatment carried out in the early 1930's and used a glasshouse effect of trailed uneven coloured glass, mainly of jade green and rose, on to the surface of clear crystal articles.'

Unless the author did put the wrong description next to 'Arboresque' (and would he really - is he the most likely person of all the authors and books quoted above, to get it wrong? Not saying he didn't but on balance he wouldn't have been my first port of call), I really do think these vases and bowl match his descriptor. 

http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/british_glass/stevenswilliams_glass/stevenswilliamsglass_home.html

Is it possible that, given Stevens and Williams were known for their immaculate threading and trailing, by comparison to those type of pieces, this trailing on these vases we know as rainbow would have been considered 'uneven' because it was not immaculately spaced and trailed, but rather freeform.  I don't know what the author meant by 'a glasshouse effect' but I do wonder if he meant what we would consider today to be 'studio' type glass. 
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2014, 10:58:13 PM »
m, all these unqualified "author-phrases" are very difficult to understand unless we have good examples to to see the effects and the variations.

I would caution against questioning too many things individually. Best to store up a few references for "extra info" and then prepare a summary query.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2014, 12:18:09 AM »
ok :)
I don't have any more queries.
I'm hoping Nigel will see this thread and be able to offer a correction if necessary to the point about rainbow, and a definite on the date and description in the pattern books for Arboresque if he can.

m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2014, 07:25:45 AM »
On Mel's off topic, Crystal Years describes auburn as a rich reddish amber used mainly for vases, bowls and stems

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2014, 04:35:55 PM »
This vase is described as Loetz (don't think it's signed though) but it does tick a few of the boxes above ......sorry if it's a red herring , I promise not to post any more  ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Loetz-Yellow-Iridescent-Bohemian-Czech-Vase-with-Flared-Crimped-Rim-8-high-/231147068840?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d1705da8

Ta, Mike.
Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2014, 05:47:56 PM »
Don't be sorry :)  the more eyes the better. 
I adapted the search word (as per misspell early in the thread) and funnily enough came upon this
Apparently a 'Rare Stevens and Williams Arabesque' ? (my underlining)
the crackle on it seems to have the little specks of grey in but pretty sure it's not iridescent.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Stevens-Williams-Arabesque-10-Compote-in-Blue-/390330803142?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae18763c6

However, I do think the issue might be that we need to find out which decor is the right decor for the range 'Arboresque'.  Your vase doesn't match the picture in Manley and whilst the comporte I've found seems to, it's not iridescent ... but most of all, I feel there is a query over whether or not we are looking for an iridescent crackle decor as in Manley,  or a trailed decor often in pink or jade green but with no iridescence.
m

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2014, 06:27:29 PM »
Here is another one ...'arabesque' ...I really hope you can get to the bottom of this ..there is lots of confusion out there and it needs to be properly defined !!

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/164451823867265946/

You are doing such a great job here !

The reason I posted the link to the vase on ebay was that it is on clear glass, has green, worked trailing , some pink ,it's not uniform in shape and seems to have been sprayed could be 1930's perhaps ? !    I hope it helps to focus on what to look for... as you say  :) Good luck  ;D

Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2014, 07:07:18 PM »
  :-X  is there a decor called Arabesque from Stevens and Williams?

I think best to stop here until we get a definite answer to what the decor is supposed to look like to be honest.

Mike, just to say also Loetz is most often not marked btw.  I have no idea about that vase  though as my knowledge of Loetz is extremely limited I'm afraid.

m

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2014, 07:32:26 PM »
LOL  ;)

I did see a reference to some engraving on Stevens & Williams glass called Arabesque c1900's  but that is all !  :D

I just wanted to show how much confusion there is in general about the term 'Arboresque'  ;)

Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2014, 07:51:41 PM »
Yes :) I agree re the confusion
and
according to their website, Broadfield House aren't taking any queries at the moment unfortunately.
I would like some information about Richardson's, Webb's, Stuart and now also Stevens and Williams.  I wish I had constant access to the pattern books  ;D

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand