No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Georgian flared glass folded foot hollow help please.  (Read 565 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Georgian flared glass folded foot hollow help please.
« on: February 08, 2014, 07:28:22 PM »
Hello there this is one of my recent favorite finds, it looks to be Georgian but i'm not 100% sure, it has a folded foot and is completely hollow, wear to the base, very dull when tapped with no ring, several white seeds within the glass, i have tried for a couple of weeks to dig up any information on it and come up blank can anybody help please.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Georgian flared glass folded foot hollow help please.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 12:16:40 AM »
Snap, ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 10:14:39 AM »
Any idea's to age or use and do you think it's not English, listening to Paul last night i got my UV torch out in the dark and it does not have a light green glow then neither did half the old glass i've got some 1930's crystal glowed lovely in fact the best piece of glowing glass might have been my wedgwood penguins, the main bulk of the glowing glass i own was 1860 to 1890's, the wife caught me i think she was ready to have me sectioned, when i look at this i keep thinking Epergne of some sort.
Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 11:09:49 AM »
Epergnes used for decorative purposes were closed at the smaller/narrower end, usually  -  so that whatever you put in the holders would stay put and not slip through - whereas this one is apparently hollow from end to end.             Probably too small for an individual epergne too, I'd have thought.
I believe that Peter has commented that the folded foot-rim made a re-appearance c. 1830 - 40, but since it's a feature used simply to strengthen both foot and top rims where there's potential for damage, I suppose it could be applied to almost any piece of glass where the worker considered there was a need for strength.            Then again you can find the folded foot on some of the Venetian Revival material c. 1860 - 80 (Sowerby/Powell).

I'd also have thought that wavy/crimped rims such as this were definitely post Regency.              Not my area so I'm not being much help - just a few random thoughts. :)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 02:33:35 PM »
I'd agree with Paul,I'd be surprised if they were that old,did you get yours locally,mine came from Lye so maybe it's a 'Stourbridge' thing, ??? ;D ;D

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 05:06:46 PM »
Yes i did i'd bet ten quid they came from the same place, it's too much of a coincidence  ;)
Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 05:21:08 PM »
always give it to someone on 01.04.14 and tell them it's a vase and you need it filled with water please ;) ;)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 05:33:26 PM »
Now there's  an idea.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand