No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help needed - Rd no 24048 - a Stevens and Williams clear glass vase  (Read 1451 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
If Paul or anyone with rd numbers to hand could help I would much appreciate it.
I've looked up the number but not been able to find it.
It should date to 1885 March
The vase in question is engraved with a signed S&W Ltd and also Pat No.24048
It is clear trumpet type shape with a pinched rim that is pinched to create 5 holes, one central the other 4 on either corner as it were. 
That's looking down from the top.  Each of the 4 'corner tubes' created by the pinch design as an applied little handle on it on the exterior strangely.  Nice design though. It is cut on the stem in vertical close cuts then a merese and a flat foot with superb star cut base.
I can't show a pic - sorry.
The reason for my question is because I have seen a peacock eye trail vase that is signed S&W engraved.
I'm interested to know if S&W did use an engraved signature because I had always thought the sig was 'right' on the peacock vase.

I can send a link to anyone who can help, so you can view the piece in question if that helps :)

Peacock vase link here
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8698829
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Help needed - Rd no 24048 - a Stevens and Williams clear glass vase
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 06:32:11 PM »
ok, I have it.

And clearly I STILL don't know how to work out RD Numbers - at least I don't think I do, or perhaps the rd number can go on a piece even if it is years later?
There is a vase in Gulliver's page 84 top left hand with the same rd number for c.1909.  It's for the rim.
So I believe the signature and vase I'm looking at is genuine and genuinely signed.
In which case it has an S&W Ltd on it as well as the pat no 24048 and the ' S&W ' looks just like the engraved S&W on this vase here
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8698829
which I believe dates to around a similar time (I was confused wondering why both looked as though they had been signed by the same person if they were years apart - but that mystery solved now, as qquite possibly the clear one dates to a similar period to this peacock eye trailed vase).

So, I feel sure this peacock eye trail vase linked above on Liveauctioneers is a Stevens and Williams version and would like to find the pattern number for it.
Likewise this one that I questioned on CWeekly - and has been put up as Harrach, is I also believe an S&W vase
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/65618-harrach-peacock-variant-rose-bowl

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:36:47 PM »
A patent number is not a registered design number. This will be a patent for the method of making the pinched rim or for the use of the pinched rim (supporting flowers probably) and not for the pinched rim design itself IYSWIM

Here's some more http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Stevens-Williams-Glass-Crystal-Tulip-Vase-/110832622054
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/17839/lot/192/
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Signed-Stevens-Williams-Crystal-Cut-5-fold-4-handled-posy-vase-5-/390716642251

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 09:56:13 PM »
Thanks so much for explaining and doing links :)
The one I have seen has a good clear signature on it and has similarities to the first one you posted. 
I feel the signature on the green dab vase is genuine - it has a curious s and also the & sign is very similarly done.
I'd like a pattern number though - that would be perfect.
(there is a reason why I'm going through all these  ;D )
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 09:59:37 PM »
You'd have to see the catalogues/work books for that I suspect. The patented rim  was obviously applied to several variations

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 10:43:51 PM »
I might try and see if I can get a bit closer on the dates and see if it would be possible to double check the pattern books for the peacock style trailed vases. I know the S&W pattern books are enormous but I've seen one particular vase, sold as French, Harrach, and Stuart and I believe it's Stevens and Williams.   A good look at the pattern books would be great.  Not sure how possible though.
thanks again
m

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 06:56:10 PM »
Here is another example of S&W patent 24048.

5 1/4 inches in height, 5 1/2 inches at the widest diameter and 4 1/4 inches across the base.

There is a little sticker on the base probably a stock number, maybe a pattern number?.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand