No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars paperweight  (Read 1260 times)

Offline gkep

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • London England
Whitefriars paperweight
« on: February 19, 2014, 09:00:46 PM »
I'm wondering whether I should bid on this nice looking controlled bubble cobalt blue Whitefriars paperweight, I've spent over an hour trying to find a comparable one to gauge prices etc does anyone know if it has a pattern number?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

George

[Mod: copy of eBay image removed as per Board guidelines on copyrighted material. Please see eBay item no. 201023506739 for details.]
George

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Whitefriars paperweight
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 09:24:39 PM »
I don't think it is Whitefriars. I believe it may be Czech and sold under the Jaffe Rose brand

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 09:53:49 PM »
I agree with Christine not a Whitefriars weight, also board policy is unless this is your image or you have the image owners permission you should not post it here as it is a breach of copyright and could lead to problems.
From your post it seems this from an auction site.

Nick

Offline gkep

• Members
    • London England
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 10:57:10 PM »

Wow that was close, I thought it weird that nothing similar came up?

Many thanks
George

Offline gkep

• Members
    • London England
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 02:07:57 PM »
Hi Nick, I realise that there's a risk of breach of copyright etc but surely it's also the responsibility of experienced sellers who have sold over 4,000 items to do they're homework and make sure that what they're selling is accurately described.

When I asked the seller whether the item had a pattern number, the answer was  "I purchased the item some years ago at an antique fair from someone selling their Whitefriars collection. I don't know the pattern number".

This is very misleading and not fair for anyone bidding on the item who may think the sellers description is accurate.
George

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 02:20:59 PM »
What you should do is post a link to the auction, not copy the picture. Be aware though that people might not comment on a live auction.
And remember caveat emptor

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 02:51:34 PM »
Hi George
              You are quite correct but that is an issue for ebay not here, by posting copyrighted images then you are potentially opening the GMB to accusations of hosting copyrighted images, as Christine says you should post a link to the ebay listing.

Unfortunately ebay is full of incorrect listings I check almost daily, currently at least 5 paperweights listed as Whitefriars aren't, there's a  Perthshire and an Indian paperweight listed as Clichy, a Chinese peacock weight listed as Baccarat, a brand new Chinese listed as Baccarat Murano? There's even a Clichy paperweight listed as Baccarat, a new Chinese weight listed as Paul Ysart and many many more.

Some are definitely there to mislead unwary buyers, some are just confused, they see an antique weight at high prices and as they have something superficially the same list it as such in the hope it just might be. A recent message to me about a Clichy paperweight I had listed at £1600 asked me if she could send me a photo to verify a paperweight she had as it was almost the same, the photo when it arrived was a Perthshire PP2 value £30- £40, so another seller would perhaps have listed it as Clichy!

If the buyer seem to have just made an error I will contact them, some are pleased to be informed and change the listing, some tell me to **/:?@@** Off. One seller of very untidy Vasart weight currently listed as Whitefriars I informed over a year ago it was Vasart, even supplying a link to Richard More's site so she could see what it was, was not pleased (told me where to go) and apparently a number of ebayer's had told her the same but she still keeps re listing it at over £100, refusing to believe that no collector with that much to spend would ever not know what it is and buy it.

Sometimes though it works the other way around in that someone with no idea what they have will list something as just "A Paperweight" and you can pick up a bargain if you know what it is.

My best advice is to read everything you can about the area of paperweight collecting you are interested in.

Nick

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 09:37:25 PM »

Here, here! Nick.

There as certainly some disingenuous sellers on eBay ( aka crooks), as well as sellers who are just lacking in knowledge. The problem for the inexperienced collector is separating the two, and recognising the errors...which is extremely difficult.

I keep telling one eBay 'trader' that the paperweights he is selling on behalf of some unspecified owner are nothing like the description ( the most recent idiocy was a Perthshire PP12 with an obvious P1969 cane being sold as antique French, 1845 - 1860). He argues that the owner is 'an experienced collector and international author'.  However, he does not say ' experienced collector and international author in respect of paperweights' - so maybe the owner knows a lot about Barbie Dolls, or beermats, or bicycle saddles....certainly not paperweights.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 03:29:19 PM »
Have to say the Poole world is exactly the same.  "Vintage" pieces are regularly actually brand new, pieces by specific paintresses are in fact not and couldn't possibly be the paintress they say because the piece would be 1962 - 64 and a paintress only worked in the 50, and on different ranges.

Some thank you, some get hilarious including the guy that said he was an expert on Poole as he lived there......  he then blocked me from his listing along with everyone else who told him, so you get bargains as no one could bid!  My Dad may of purchased a couple of exceptional plates are good prices for me :)

Ian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand