No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A pear and a dish with a something...  (Read 1945 times)

Offline stevetheb

• Members
A pear and a dish with a something...
« on: May 18, 2006, 03:08:57 PM »
Please be gentle, I 'm new at this..

I recently bought 4 items of glass just on the grounds that I liked them. There are 2 glass swans - of which there will be more in a seperate post.

I'm just interested to know a little bit more about the other two items I bought.

Firstly I have a solid glass pear (A paperweight I guess) it.s heavy about 4 inches high with a series of "bubbles" inside.  There are no marks that I can see.  Can anyone point me in a direction of a maker?

My first attempt at a photo is below... (I should have ironed the pillowcase!)

http://www.kammneves.co.uk/glass/pear.jpg

Secondly.. I have a small glass dish - heavy and about 4 inches across.. in a clear and amber/brown colour. It comes with a "spooney/dippery/pestley" thing in amber glass.. It's quite beautiful, but what is it for.  My inital thought was that it was a honey serving dish... a frind at work suggested a little mortar and pestle... is either suggestion on the right line?  And any idea of a maker?

http://www.kammneves.co.uk/glass/Ummmmm.jpg

My grateful thanks in advance

Steve (In Liskeard - Cornwall)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 03:29:29 PM »
Nice opening, Steve - well done with photos and all.
I am sure someone will chime in and recognise your pear. Pears have been made by many glass makes (including, I am sure, by Liskeard!)  as this is one of the easier items to produce.

As for you trilobe ashtray with matching stub snubber, 95 % certain it is from Murano.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 04:56:58 PM »
If the leaves are applied and if it has a bit that goes inwards on the base I might guess either Murano or Chinese.

These are quite heavy.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1080

I have seen a similar pear weight with bubbles like yours and with polished or grounded bases. The leaves are exacly the same as my weights. I think this could be Murano or Chinese too. The bubbles were not evenely spaced apart.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline stevetheb

• Members
The base..
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 05:22:35 PM »
Is indeed polished.. the bubbles aren't even all the way round.. and I think you may be right and the leaves are applied to the body of the pear (If applied = made seperatly and stuck on to the top?)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 06:15:55 PM »
Applied is an appropriate term. The leaves can also be described as lamp-work, made by hand in a flame.

Offline stevetheb

• Members
Ashtray
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 09:05:40 PM »
I'm thinking it was a lucky find. It is a beautiful object for something that is for such a mundane use.. If I smoked.. I'm not sure I could bring myself to use it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand