No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown CRYSTAL Vase - Criss Cross Design  (Read 692 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Unknown CRYSTAL Vase - Criss Cross Design
« on: April 02, 2014, 01:17:44 AM »
Hi, just picked this up today.  Looks like crystal glass with a criss-cross design. 

Has the following Characteristics:

~ About 6 inches Tall
~ Polished top Rim
~ Polished bottom with good wear for Age
~ Faceted cut around the base

Any info on maker, or date is greatly appreciated!!    MIGHT it be European ??

Thanks    :-*
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Unknown CRYSTAL Vase - Criss Cross Design
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 08:33:47 AM »
hello Rose  ...        not entirely sure what purpose this had originally, but the cutting looks good, and the beveled top rim is a sign of quality.      The problem with much cut glass is that much of it remains unidentified through a lack of individuality or signature  -  I've seen that smooth inset top rim on before, somewhere.

The cut design looks much like some patterns from the States  ...  Dorflinger's hob diamond and lace, or something similar from Pairpoint or Hawkes, although I'm not so sure the overall shape is an ABP shape.           The slice cutting and flat bottom might point to a Continental origin, and I've certainly seen similar shapes in pressed glass with a similar hobnail pattern, from Europe.
Could be Bohemian or German perhaps.           

Assume the cutting feels sharp??  -  which might indicate pre 1920's, possibly.
This hobnail design has been universal in it's appearance, but on balance may have been more common on ABP material than elsewhere - not entirely sure of that.

Sorry this is not of much help, but might encourage others to comment. :) 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Unknown CRYSTAL Vase - Criss Cross Design
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 08:37:25 PM »
My opinion is European, no star cutting on base just a flat polish, base design & edges beveled, rather simple button on cross hatch cutting, etc. but thats just me. Strangely enough that cutting strongly reminds me of the European small lay flat perfumes (horns, both straight & curved) about 3-5" length.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand