No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paperweight Pin Dish - Are these early Ysart Bros canes?  (Read 1354 times)

Offline zidori

• Members
Paperweight Pin Dish - Are these early Ysart Bros canes?
« on: April 05, 2014, 07:53:06 PM »
I acquired this pin dish in a job lot of mixed porcelain and glass. It is a stunner and I wondered if these were Ysart Bros canes from the pre-Vasart period.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Ronnie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Paperweight Pin Dish - Are these early Ysart Bros canes?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 01:28:54 AM »
Ysart Brothers Glass was the name of the company that traded as "Vasart" from 1946 to 1956. From 1956 to 1964 the company name was "Vasart Ltd". So "pre-Vasart" does not really mean very much.

The pin dish looks to me to be from the "Ysart Brothers" period. The canes may have been made in that period but some (or all??) may have been from the pre-war years (Monart), before Ysart Brothers Glass was formed.

Some canes that appear in Ysart Brothers Glass items can certainly be found in pre-war Monart bottle stoppers and to make it even more complicated, some so-called "Vasart" canes can be found in work by Paul Ysart, also suggesting a likely first use in the 1930s.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 05:33:51 AM »
Thank you Kevin. I'm delighted to have found such a lovely dish, but even more delighted that years of advice from yourself and others on the Message Board is finally percolating through this brain and I could recognise Ysart Brothers canes (albeit, with still a lack of confidence).
Kind Regards
Ronnie

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 10:08:50 PM »
Ronnie,

Because I was focusing on your query on the source of the canes I forgot to add an important piece of information about the age of the item ...

Dishes like this one were also made at both Vasart Ltd and Strathearn Glass, and many have only earlier canes!

So, without a check under shortwave uv light, for a blue or a grey fluorescence we cannot say for sure whether an item was made at the Ysart Bothers works or later. The shortwave uv light will show if an item is before Vasart Ltd / Strathearn, but will not separate Vasart Ltd from Strathearn.

You may like to update your eBay listing (and your post in the Market Place) to say that the canes are  Ysart Brothers or earlier but the dish may have been made later.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 06:44:11 AM »
Thank you Kevin. I have updated both. I suspect it may not have been that much later due to the darker colour of the glass but unfortunately I do not have the necessary equipment or knowledge to do UV testing.
Kind Regards
Ronnie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand