No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Yellow Light Fitting...Marmite definately !!  (Read 529 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Large Yellow Light Fitting...Marmite definately !!
« on: April 13, 2014, 03:10:28 PM »
Hi this is a large piece of glass at 45cm across and approx 30cm in height. Was at a local auction and nobody bid on it (not really surprised) so I got it for £2.00. I think it will be a piece from a pub/bar. It had a partner but that was already broken. No idea what to do with it now....not a piece to sell and post !!! but I thought a hat on ladies day at Ascot   ;D ;D ;D ;D Any guesses on age as sitting on a ceiling will show no signs of age. You never know with ugly/unusual pieces, I have seen a Martin Bros Bird !, someone will love it  ;D
Pete. :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Large Yellow Light Fitting...Marmite definately !!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 04:23:24 PM »
If you see a Martin Bros. bird that is affordable, I'll have it! I adore them. ;)

This might work well as an uplighter shade on a stand?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 07:51:53 PM »
The one I saw was behind glass so free if you go after 3am 😃. They are real marmite (you love them or hate them). I would love to sell one 😉.
     That's a thought. In the right setting it would work. The fitting would put the rim very close to the ceiling when fitted. What flower would it be? I don't have a clue with flowers.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 09:37:53 PM »
If those birds were very common, probably no one would want them - the simple fact that something is rare - regardless of aesthetics - often sends the price through the roof.      But they have a 'quirky' charm, and I'd give one houseroom - long as they didn't rook me for it. ;)

I can't think this shade represents a real flower - I'm sure it's just an attractive but stylized modern something. :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 05:22:45 PM »
I can't afford a Martin Bros bird, but I did find a really quirky big multicoloured ceramic bird, an individual one-off by an elderly Polish artist, when I was in Krakow last year, to be my Martin Bros. Bird "substitute".
I've got a fabby Barum Barnstaple cat; because I can't afford a truly fabby Galle or Wemmys.

Nothing to do with the price or scarcity that I love them. I have this unfortunate habit of liking the most expensive or scarcest stuff before I discover it is rare or expensive. ::)  >:(
Not all of it  :) - there's a load of really expensive stuff I would not give house room. :P

The "flower" of this shade could be based on a campanula, or a nasturtium... but I don't really think it matters.

Does it give a nice light?

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 07:03:47 PM »
I would imagine it does but it wont be going up in my house lol. The rooms are too small and that's the excuse I am using  ;D Quirky and unusual always attracts attention. Some are so bad they are good. It is now in the attic until i work out what to do with it. Might take it to a sale when I get fit enough to do one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand