No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bristol Blue Ships Decanter. ID = Bristol Blue Glass  (Read 872 times)

Offline RoyJ99

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Bristol Blue Ships Decanter. ID = Bristol Blue Glass
« on: April 13, 2014, 07:07:53 PM »
My 3rd and final car boot purchase of the day and this one I actually know what it is lol. My question for this one is how old do you think it is or is that like asking how long a piece of string is. I know they are still being produced today.

Thanks

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Bristol Blue Ships Decanter
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 07:18:36 PM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 07:33:42 PM »
the answer regarding the length of a piece of string, is always (for any length) - twice the distance from the centre to one end ;)

Nice decanter by the way, b.b. is always a great decorative colour.          Ivo is obviously on the ball today.

Offline RoyJ99

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 07:37:33 PM »
Thanks I have looked at that site however further reading suggests that they have remained virtually unchanged for years. I have also found others(such as the one in the link below) which look identical listed as antique however I can find any images of bases etc which is why I'm asking here. I have absolutely nothing to go on regarding whether it's old or brand new tbh. All I know is that it came from a house clearance along with the other items I posted today.

http://www.antiques.co.uk/antique/Bristol-Blue-Ships-Decanter

Offline RoyJ99

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 07:38:30 PM »
Thanks Paul lol, regardless of age it was an absolute steal at £10. No way I could pass on it.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 07:49:49 PM »
Here's a link to similar (on a cream jug from memory), which I put on the Board's Glass Gallery Marks and Labels, and appears I put 'probably post 1990.        I see their page carries the start up year of 1988, so they really are recent.       It's possible that someone else may have used this word on the base of b.b. pieces, but I'm not aware that we've had any queries on the subject.      http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=536&pos=6

Offline RoyJ99

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 08:01:15 PM »
Awesome, thanks Paul that helps a lot. Any idea as to why there seems to be four marks instead of the usual single pontil scar?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 09:25:48 PM »
Honestly, I'm really not sure, but finishing a large object like this decanter might have meant that when breaking the attachment to the pontil rod, the scar that remained needed to be ground down to avoid problems when standing the piece upright.       Perhaps it's only the smaller pieces from Bristol Blue that were sold with the scar remaining.
There is a fair amount of C18 and C19 glass, mostly clear of course, where if you look closely, not all of the pontil scar imperfections have been removed with grinding/polishing.     Smallish bubbled inclusions like yours often remain.
I'm sure that the 'four' marks on this decanter aren't significant  -  just a random defect left after polishing.

I notice that the b.b. pieces from the T/Webb range (from the 1960/70's), appear to have quality ground/polished pontil depressions plus a distinctive factory backstamp, or at least my six pieces do.
Unlike the Bristol Blue pieces which appear to be copying more closely their antique counterparts, the T/Webb pieces don't incorporate genuinely old features such as, for example, the 'top down handles'
Obviously modern backstamps and dremeled signatures are there to avoid confusion with genuinely old pieces.   

Offline RoyJ99

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 09:43:07 PM »
Thanks for that explanation, was just curious if it was a particular technique or reason for leaving the mark like that.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 11:38:24 PM »
I'm sure there's no longer any doubt but Ivo was right and it's from Bristol Blue Glass.
I've had tankards signed the same but in red.
And they are local to me :)
Lovely colour glass btw.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand