No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue pan top rummer wine glass? help please.  (Read 459 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Blue pan top rummer wine glass? help please.
« on: April 14, 2014, 03:49:45 PM »
Hello again here is another glass i could do with a bit of help on. It's large and heavy for it's size, the outer glass is very smooth almost like it has been placed in a mould, there is no pontil and heavy wear to the base, it has a lovely ring that goes on for about  12 seconds, the inner bowl has a few runs to the glass and is very uneven with lots of inclusions. I just can not take a decent picture of this so i apologize up front for this. regards Chris.

It's 5 3/4 inches in size 4 1/2 inches across the rim and 31/8th inches across the base.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Blue pan top rummer wine glass? help please.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 07:24:36 PM »
hi Stuart - my opinion would be.......
genuinely old coloured rummers are rare, and I suspect that the only shade of blue was 'bristol' (believe they were also made in amethyst and b. green)  -  this looks to be something lighter.
If it's ringing well, then no doubt lead glass, and this fact may well account for its weight.
When you say 'no pontil', assume you mean it has neither a scar or depression  -  suggesting made probably in the C20 - but enough time to pick up the wear you mention.
Apparently quite a lot of copies were made in the first third of the C20  -  some of the books suggest the feet were thinner than the originals.

Let's see what others think :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 08:23:15 PM »
I wish i could give you this to hold it's no Deco piece of glass.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 09:44:31 PM »
Hi Stuart - I wasn't rubbishing your rummer, but suggesting it wasn't from the 'golden era' - it may be made well, but  I don't think it's earlier than late Victorian - early C20.
If you are saying it's without any form of pontil scar or ground/polished depression then I'm of the opinion that it is not going to be earlier than I'm suggesting.

I wasn't suggesting that it's deco in style  -  pan-topped designs have been around for a long time  -  just that it may have been made during the period when deco flourished  i.e. 1920's - 30's....but made to look late Georgian/Regency (1800 - 1830).

Earlier in my collecting days I bought b.b. and b. gr. rummers (with snapped pontils) only to discover they weren't genuinely old ......  in fact I also bought a couple of clear ovoid examples of equally dubious date.
It's a well documented fact that at various times from the 1890's to the mid 1930's there was a lot of copying of classic Georgian and Regency glass - that by now will show substantial wear.

I'd like someone to prove me wrong, but I think unlikely in view of some of the features we've discussed.
This may be British, but might equally be from the Continent  -  difficult to be more accurate.   
Did you buy this as an early C19 piece?

I'm hoping that someone else will comment. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand