No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass goblets pre-1846 Photograph from The Pencil of Nature - Fox Talbot  (Read 1353 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Yes wet plates Paul.
I just then wondered whether those Daniel had bought might have been bought because they contained glass pics.
Having spent hours, nay days, searching the internet for various exhibition catalogues with drawings of glass in them, any photographs are a blessing.  I find it extremely difficult to imagine a piece of coloured glass from a black and white sketch. 
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Finding the negative would be useful as that would contain a lot more detail than the prints it produced. But was Pellat selling antique glass in that shop?

Not all carafes were made with stoppers so these should be assumed to be how they were made.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline huronia

• Members
  • Huronia
flyingfree,

I thought the article very interesting.  It certainly shows how far photography has come, as well as how old it really is.   I've never seen photographs in a book that old - it's always lithographs or engravings of some sort. 

I guess that the pain of photographing clear glass is nothing new then.

huronia
Huronia
Ontario
Canada

Offline fontanazul

• Members
  • Kristal-Poesie
    • Czech sklo
    • Málaga - Spain
Yes wet plates Paul.
I just then wondered whether those A Daniel had bought might have been bought because they contained glass pics.
Having spent hours, nay days, searching the internet for various exhibition catalogues with drawings of glass in them, any photographs are a blessing. B I find it extremely difficult to imagine a piece of coloured glass from a black and white sketch. 
m
A. - I bought this box out of curiosity (and price)
     Now that I have revealed photographs (with PC)
   trying to see the embroidery work Mom. (no glass)
             Dry Plates >>[/[/i]url]
B. - often a drawing is more accurate, more real than the photograph (sometimes >>).  :P
       .....also today photography in black and white has your friends..... :-*
Daniel Muriel . [Kristal Poesie]

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: Glass goblets pre-1846 Photograph from The Pencil of Nature - Fox Talbot
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 06:17:10 PM »
I was in Fox Talbot's Lacock Abbey today and I noticed they had a cabinet of glassware, a set of about 50 pieces all engraved. The variety of pieces was fairly narrow - tumblers, decanters, one or two other things. It was stored in low light conditions and difficult to view.

However on the National Trust website they have an image of one of the tumblers with a better view of the engraving.

http://www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk/object/996662.5

This isn't my area but in light of Talbot photographing Apsley Pellat glassware, could this engraved set have been made for him by Pellat? Or is it a later piece? Any ideas... just curious...

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 08:40:45 AM »
In London the Pellatt's produced glass for most, if not all of the first half of the C19, and made a very diverfe range of articles which did include tumblers, although they're probably best remembered for Apsley's patented sulphide plaques.
I'm not sure what to think of this NT 'tumbler' - the wheel engraving is of fine quality but not easy to date - my opinion is that it would pre-date 1846 - I'm sure it's a blown piece and not pressed.       But the more curious aspect is its shape which is not that of a standard tumbler, and with that curve where the side meets the base it reminds me strongly of the top part of a carafe and tumbler/tumbler and up/guest water set.
The few sets of these things I had have long since gone but the short squat dimensions of this one may well be similar to the size of carafe tumblers.
I don't know what sort of start date carafe and tumbler sets had, certainly they were around in the middle of the C19, but how much earlier than that they might have started perhaps someone else might know.   

Don't think you could ever rustle up enough evidence remotely to make the connection between Pellatt and Fox Talbot for this piece, but romantic idea perhaps. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 09:18:56 AM »
Paul, it reminded me of a tumble up shape as well, but since I know nothing about glasses I didn't like to comment.
However just for interest I did find this print dated 1862 of Pellatt glass
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1862-Services-In-Glass-Pellatt-East-End-Dome-Closing-Day-Exhibition-/331339837645?pt=UK_art_prints_GL&hash=item4d2564b0cd
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
in which can be seen an example of a tumble up/carafe and tumbler, showing the distinctive base curve which was typical of tumblers from these sets.

But this possible connection with a carafe isn't conclusive, and it was just a suggestion of mine - we'll almost certainly never know for sure for what use this tumbler was made  -  but I do like the wheel engraving.
But let's not be too negative ;)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 10:17:28 AM »
 ;D

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 06:20:53 PM »
It's possible some of the tumblers were for a carafe, alas the cabinet was in a low light spot and difficult to view. By the way that National Trust website, though beset with slow server speed, has quite a lot of interesting glass if you search around. I've spotted a few Manchester pieces which for some reason congregate in two museums, one a 1920s house in Nottingham, and another in a colection in the Aberaeron area, where a Kensington antique dealer left her glass collection to the museum.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand