No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anglo Irish Oval Standing Cut Glass Bowl  (Read 1675 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Anglo Irish Oval Standing Cut Glass Bowl
« on: May 24, 2014, 09:45:44 AM »
My latest addition to my cut glass collection is this oval standing bowl.

Moulded base star cut although the star is not deeply cut.
Diamond shaped moulded base which is a characteristic of Irish glass.

I find it very differcult to to age some of these items , is it Georgian or Victorian ?.

Weight 2100gm
Height 7.75" or 20 cm
Length 10.5" or 26 cm

Thanks Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rose de verre

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass/ ceramics
    • ireland
Re: Anglo Irish Oval Standing Cut Glass Bowl
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 04:57:36 PM »
Hi
Late Georgian,early 19thc [ imho.]
Its very nice.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 06:30:46 PM »
quote ..............."I find it very diffircult to to age some of these items"................aging glass is quite easy Roy.........I can lend you a selection of wet and dry paper, or alternatively use your doorstep ;)

Hi Rose.........  what specifically are you basing your humble opinion on.......don't get me wrong - you may well be 100% correct, but I'm always keen to better understand the methods that more knowledgeable use to date these pieces  -  are you going on shape alone?? :)

Offline rose de verre

• Members
    • glass/ ceramics
    • ireland
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 08:31:32 PM »
Hi
I am basing my opinion on - shape, right for period, small base for size of bowl, cutting- flattish diamonds + strawberry diamonds + broad flutes + star cut base, colour - hard to tell but looks about right, natural looking wear to foot. So maybe 1820 ish. Maybe !!!
Could be later copy of course.
[You may recall also that I collect old Irish glass, and am in Ireland, where we still have a lot of it about.!! ]
All the best
Rose

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 09:33:36 PM »
hi Rose - many thanks for your considered opinion, which I respect, especially in view of your experience with older Irish glass.             Like Roy, I have difficulty with determining the age of some of these older fruit/salad bowls.
I envy your proximity to  .."where we still have a lot of it about.!!" :)
My personal experience is limited to a much smaller sample, but my opinion would be that colour and wear are paramount as indicators of real age.

As far as the U.K. is concerned there was a lot of copying of Georgian/Regency styles in the early C20, in addition to which I believe that some imports from eastern Europe are very good look-alikes.

Don't see your glass so much these days  -  look forward to seeing more pieces :)

Offline rose de verre

• Members
    • glass/ ceramics
    • ireland
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 10:39:55 PM »
Hi
Well, here is an unusual little pair of low candlesticks or holders of mine  chosen because they have large diamond cut like OP'S nice bowl, also the broad flutes at the foot. In these oval and circular forms, you get these wonderful curves, geometric effects, as you can see in the picture of the base. To reflect a much light as possible.  As to judging by colour and wear, this pair have mossing to the bases, always a good sign of age, also, although an identically cut pair, they are individual hand made items with variation in size and construction,one taller than the other.
With a single piece of old cut glass like the bowl just having a good close look at the cutting will show slight irregularities, 20thc examples won't, they will be a lot slicker, more perfect. 
Regards
Rose

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 08:28:36 AM »
Rose  -  unfortunately, these pictures of your sticks are not appearing at a useful visual size - I'd suggest you have either re-sized at too small a magnification, or not taken them large enough to start with.

Any chance you can re-post based on pixel size with first measurement at about 700??

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 08:37:15 AM »
hi - meant to add that I've not previously heard your expression of 'mossing'  -  which assume is the appearance of a fine 'matt like' wear to the glass, removing entirely the shinny surface of the glass, where it's in contact with other surfaces ???  yes :)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 04:07:49 PM »
Rose and Paul

Thanks for your replies very interesting.

Most of the time when I see pieces I like it only takes a few seconds just handling the piece for me to make up my mind wether to buy or not, mostly on my gut feeling. I like to think some of the pieces are Georgian but if the Victorian or even later but exceptional pieces that's fine to.

On close inspection there are many slight irregularities in the cutting , also the base is not quite centered to the stem.

Roy

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 07:28:46 PM »
You certainly have a love for cut glass like myself Roy, regardless of age that's a work of art. I have a lot of heavy glass and that is some lump. Consider, if your piece had moved 5 times a year for the last 200 years over a thousand moves would the base be more worn?, and damaged?, all the very old bits i have with a flat square base are chipped and worn and the bases almost frosted in appearance,. I know a lot depends on use and i can see that over the years someone would have used that as a fruit bowl, table centerpiece it too lovely not to use and show off at parties etc.

Unless the base has been restored, cut smaller and re polished?.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand