No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina textured bark vase flared rim  (Read 954 times)

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
Re: Mdina textured bark vase flared rim
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 04:04:00 PM »
Yes early seems to mean 1968-72 Chris. Especially around here.

Considering the glass works has been going for 46 years that is a strange definition.

Harris period would be a better description than early.

I don't think Chris ever thought it was Harris period more mid 70s which in a 46 year span the first 10 years could fairly be considered early.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 04:20:55 PM »
I still think the '80s were just yesterday. ;)

This is probably mid-70s onwards, after Said took over.
There was such a huge change between what was going on before that and the"early period proper", I suppose, which is Harris period.
But Boffo stayed on until '77, and Dobson stayed for a short while too, and Dobson did have artistic input - Tiger is his design, even though he was employed as manager, so there is an "inbetweeny early period", of early - mid-'70s while there were still Boffo and Dobson having an influence.

I really think when folk refer to "Early Mdina" they are referring to Harris period. Things changed too much afterwards to consider them as being in line with the same sorts of work.

I did collect some mid-70s stuff, but I'm very fussy about which sort. I like the Boffo/ Dobson influence still having some sway. I'm not really interested in anything later than that at all.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 05:53:53 PM »
I honestly believe that if this site is to continue to be the first port of call for collectors new and old and honest old fashioned dealers just looking for advice too keep things accurate the notion that anything made after 1972 by a company still going in 2014 is 'later' needs to be clarified. Mdina is not just about MH a lot of people who still buy Mdina today have probably not even heard of him and those that have probably remember him more for the stuff he made at Isle of Wight. I was talking to a guy last week who had just 'snaffled' a gorgeous amethyst fish vase dated 1975 and someone sent me a picture today of a couple of the nicest goblets I have ever seen dated 1978 asking he thought Boffo could have made them. Made long after MH had moved on to pastures new but still fantastic pieces of workmanship. I don't talk to people like they know nothing nether do I talk to people assuming they know everything either.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 06:04:17 PM »
So in future I will simply say "I do not know" rather than explaining why.
Or simply ignore the post, then get into trouble for saying nothing.
Seems I just can't win. :'(

I share my knowledge. It is not my duty to go and study stuff I'm not interested in in order to accumulate knowledge on it. I'm not any sort of expert, just an enthusiast of Michael Harris' early work.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand