No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: unusual door knob Milliefiori old english?  (Read 2224 times)

Offline paperweightsgalore1

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • south
unusual door knob Milliefiori old english?
« on: May 30, 2014, 08:03:30 PM »
Hi Everyone

I was lucky enough to pick up these handsome door knobs recently. I love the colours, but don't know much about them or there history.
Could anyone shed any light on the maker or country of origin?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RescoCCC

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • United States
Re: unusual door knob Milliefiori old english?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 09:02:12 PM »
They certainly look English. Very cool!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 09:04:05 PM »

Hi.  I saw these at the auction today (as did many other collectors, as they were well publicised on line).  I made appropriate bids on them, but did not win.  They are Old English, by Arculus / Walsh Walsh - the usual loose set-ups. Probably date to the 1920 - 1940 period.  I think that they are originally paperweights that someone has mounted on relevant door hardware, probably a long time ago. I have never seen factory mounted versions of these - unlike Richardson doorknobs, which turn up from time to time, and were clearly made for that purpose.

I don't think you were lucky...you just paid more than any one else was prepared to pay - but a reasonable price if you want to use them in your home.

Alan

PS - the images look very like those from the auction house website ... you need their permission to reproduce them here.
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline paperweightsgalore1

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • south
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 09:21:49 PM »
Hi

Thank you for all of the information Alan

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 11:27:42 AM »

Hi paperweightsgalore1.

Apologies if my post above seemed a bit brusque, but the way many people use the word 'lucky' is one of my bêtes noires: one is lucky to win the lottery, or unlucky to be struck by lightning.  And one can be lucky to spot something lurking in a small antique shop, whereas to win by being the high bidder in a well publicised auction requires no luck whatsoever!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 12:21:55 AM »
paperweightsgalore1,

Could you please confirm whether the photos you provided are copies of auction images. As Alan pointed out, the Board policy does not permit copyrighted images to be posted without permission from the image owner.

As per: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,24434.0.html
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand