No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Do they do Deceptive Tumblers ???  (Read 467 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Do they do Deceptive Tumblers ???
« on: June 01, 2014, 02:46:47 PM »
Picked these up more from curiosity than anything else. There are two sizes one at 9cm and 2 at 9.5cm. With diameters of 8 and 8.5cm. The inside goes thin at the bottom and are very thick and heavy. All three glasses have EH Good engraved, badly, on them in what looks like old script. They all have stones in and bubbles. I also have a large glass, pint?, with the same engraved name on but in a different style. It is 15cm in height and 10.5 diameter at the lip. Any help appreciated as I am Lost.
Pete. :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Re: Do they do Deceptive Tumblers ???
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 02:49:49 PM »
Last picture was of the pint as well. More pictures here. Last one is the base of the pint glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 03:39:36 PM »
according to some of the books, yes, apparently they do, but it may well be not in the usual sense of a deceptive 'toastmaster's glass', where the capacity was reduced deliberately to avoid inebriation.
With tumblers it may simply be that the method of manufacture created the 'deceptive volume'.

Despite their naive simplicity, some of these mid C19 pressed tumblers aren't always easy to date - it's a pity that the engraver of these pieces didn't include the date.
Those examples with more pointed and narrow insides show that the press punch used was of a similar profile, and used because that shape required less effort when pressing into the molten glass.    This process creates the very thick-walled lower portions of the tumbler, which gives rise to the deception.

These tumblers don't have a pontil scar, neither is the moulding confined to the base and lower parts only - which would be indications of a late Georgian/Regency date.
My best thoughts on date would be c. 1860 - 1870 perhaps a little later, but as I say some of these things are not easy to date.            Engraving can be both a help and a hindrance  -  I suspect that with these the style of engraving reflects, approximately, the date of manufacture of the tumblers - but can't be sure.    For obvious reasons it's far more likely that engraving could have been applied later than date of manufacture, rather than the other way round ;D             Sometimes the script can indicate a Continental origin, but I guess the name sounds British, but doubt that you'd ever find a maker.
There are some pressed tumblers with the diamond lozenge, but they seem scarce - I've not seen one, yet.
I take it there aren't any signs of mould seams  -  which means they were removed by fire polishing.

Around the last 20 30 years of the C19 capacities appear to become standardized, and S. & F. show lots of pressed examples ranging from 'tot tumblers' and deceptive 'ice glasses' (penny licks) up to the full pint size, which they seemed keen to call 'soda-tumblers'.

Perhaps someone else has a better idea of date :)             

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 05:17:49 PM »
A great help as always Paul. Thanks. I was thinking these were possibly Public House Glasses maybe with the Engraving being added later as it is very amateur. A sort of lower class Deceptive for the Landlord to have a drink with customers  ;D The Pint Glass is engraved with G Good and the other 3 EH Good I have noticed. The Pint Glass has straight sides with no 'deception'  :) The smaller 3  are very solid which would go with your
This process creates the very thick-walled lower portions of the tumbler
Interesting pieces. Not sure what to do with them yet ? Big glass has water damage and all are scratched which is understandable and far too heavy to use  :D I will look into it some more. Much appreciated Paul.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand