No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors Vase?  (Read 550 times)

Offline jjohnson

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Orrefors Vase?
« on: June 03, 2014, 02:59:36 PM »
I have a client that has asked me to help sell some of her glass collection.  I know nothing about glass, nor does she (she acquired most of it as gifts from travelling family members many years ago).  In addition to American Cut Glass, Murano, etc., she has the most beautiful "Dragonfly Vase."  It's super thick and heavy.

Trying to decipher the etchings on the bottom, I've come up with "Orrefors", then a serial number that looks like D. 7687.C6 (or CG) then an indecipherable squiggle.

The interweb tells me that the "D" indicates Ingeborg Lundin.  I'm guessing this vase dates early '60's?  Does anyone have any additional information on deciphering this serial number, OR...helping me find a reasonable value for this piece?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Orrefors Vase?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 06:24:31 PM »
Below is the URL which may help you date the vase & type:
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/swedish.htm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 06:28:25 PM »
hi - welcome to the GMB :)

I believe that the C6 part of the code indicates 1958, and am only guessing but might suggest that the number 7687 could represent the factory pattern No. for this particular engraving design.         Believe you're correct about the D standing for Ingeborg Lundin.      I've had a look but am unable to see this particular engraved design in the Leslie Pina book 'Smoke & Ice'.

Hope you'll forgive my next suggestion, which is that if neither of you know anything about glass, then might it be sensible to suggest to your client that they contact someone who does.         I say this from the point of view there might be something of real value which might slip through without being spotted.     It might also involve a lot of time researching if glass is not your forte.
The word client implies a professional relationship, usually - but of course you may well be helping them
purely on a friendly basis. :)

Regret to say that we refrain usually from giving values, as they are very much a personal matter.     Can only suggest that you look on sites such as ebay or failing which try some of the auction web sites.
A lack of knowledge of current values for Scandinavian glass might mean selling at less than the market value.

Of course if you have other items with which you'd like help on id, am sure we have folk here who will happy to assist.
Best of luck. :)   

Offline jjohnson

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 06:34:07 PM »
Thanks for the help, Ohio and Paul! 

I absolutely understand about the need for professionals.  Basically, this client handed me two big boxes of glass, then moved out of the country, instructing me to "sell them if you can."

This (obviously) isn't my professional area, so I don't have a ton of time to invest in the project.  I wouldn't even know where to start looking for a "glass pro"!  I'm certainly open to suggestions!  I'm in Colorado/USA...

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 07:44:35 PM »
If your glass is European you are in the right area although if its from the U.S. I might suggest using the site below as we there specialize in U.S. glass. If I am around I'll give a ballpark value there.
http://chataboutdg.com/forums/

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 08:02:20 PM »
We'll certainly try to id European and Scandi pieces for you - we have a good mixture of talents here on the GMB, and am sure we can help with some items, although probably not values :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand