No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thorn vases...mica ??  (Read 846 times)

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Thorn vases...mica ??
« on: June 14, 2014, 11:21:26 PM »
Can anyone tell me anything about these pair of thorn vases...sadly one is missing a foot but otherwise in good condition. Is the glittery stuff mica? Who would have made them ...English or Bohemian ?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Thorn vases...mica ??
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 07:21:51 AM »
not mica (a mineral) - but silver foil - which would give a better glittery effect anyway than mica.   Gold foil was used in a similar way.             Not apparently leaf, but foil which would have been thicker and more robust for use in hot glass, as leaf was too thin.

Assuming this was made somewhere in the last 20 years of the C19, then certainly a decorative feature that was made in the U.K., but regret don't know if Bohemia made similar, but might well have done so.

The amount of foil in this example seems meagre when compared to other pieces from 1880 - 90 period - are you confident this is a genuine period thorn vase?         Pieces with foil inclusions - I thought - were mostly either cranberry, amber or clear - not an opaque pink like this one.         But perhaps I shouldn't comment, since I don't collect these pieces. ;)

However, looks attractive piece.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 07:36:21 AM »
couple of other points :)  -  the walls seem very thick for thorn vases - and can you have thornless thorn vases :) 

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 09:06:12 AM »
Hi, Apologies for butting into this thread but we have just been having a discussion about Mica, see:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,56972.0.html

Paul - what is this foil? We didn't think you could use foil in glass as with the heat you would get chemical reactions which would change the colour/effect? Do you have any further info?

The piece pictured in this thread looks like silver mica to me (silver coloured mica - not actually having any real silver in it)  :D

Roberta
Roberta

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 09:36:17 AM »
Looks like Mica to me too - flakes, rather than a sheet of silver leaf (and gold leaf in the following example) as with IoWSG Azurene: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/IsleOfWightStudioGlass#5986125066665104066

John

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 09:54:46 AM »
Definitely mica and most likely Bohemian - Kralik or Welz perhaps. Late 19th C

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 10:32:07 AM »
hmmm  -  so I could be wrong then ;D

But seriously  ... I was, as usual quoting from books - Gulliver to be precise, where he uses the word foil.

much earlier in my working life I had a connection with the import of mica (from India - it was an essential component of valves) - and in very thin section wasn't, from what I recall, as silvery as is showing in these vases.
Mica does of course, split down (like slate) to exceptionally thin sections - was used for windows in intense heat situations.
Gulliver's book is, as we all know, concerned with British made articles  -  and knowing that people on the Board have in recent times commented on his accuracy of description - plus my limited knowledge of mica - I sensed the foil option to be correct.

So - do we assume then a misuse of a word in Gulliver??

Roberta - glad you commented - never apologise for contributing, sensibly, to a thread  -  the more the merrier :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 10:45:02 AM »
a little more waffle then.........

I use 24 ct. gold leaf in bookbinding, and the achievement of reducing the thickness down to 1/250,000 of inch for single thickness leaf is the 8th wonder of the world - and even double thickness leaf is 1/125,000 of inch - so I have shed loads of admiration for those who can use the stuff in combination with hot glass.

When I'm binding, I have to stop breathing - all doors must be shut - no windows open, and if anyone dares to enter the room, well............. that gives and indication of how difficult it is to use the stuff.

I should have read Roberta's link more carefully - so was the conclusion of that discussion, that the silvery flakes were not mica?? :)

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 10:48:28 AM »
apparently it is more translucent until it is in the glass where it appears more glittery! 

It has been used as a substance to decorate pottery, fabric and all sorts of things to give a sparkly effect even back in prehistoric times!

Also used extensively in the electronic and electrical industries due to it being good electrical insulator at the same time as being a good thermal conductor.

(I have been reading Wiki  ;D ;D )

Roberta
Roberta

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 10:51:31 AM »
Conclusion was it most likely is mica - but mica can be made up of different minerals which probably gives rise to the differing colours!
Roberta

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand