No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Decanter/Bottle ID - stumped  (Read 496 times)

Offline madrone

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • USA
Decanter/Bottle ID - stumped
« on: June 15, 2014, 12:40:10 PM »
Good morning! I am a new member and a new glass collector. I recently found the decanter in the pictures and haven't been able to positively ID the piece. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. There appear to be pontils on the bottle and the stopper. The stopper may not be original to the bottle, though; I'm not quite experienced enough to tell.

Thanks!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Decanter/Bottle ID - stumped
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 01:29:21 PM »
Hello Madrone, welcome to the GMB. We hope you'll manage to get your glass identified here.

Your decanter is a bit of a difficult one. Shape and colour are quite unremarkable, the pontil mark seems to be unfinished and pointing at a glass maker in the decorative rather than the high end of the market. The stopper is hand blown and has a shape you would expect to see from an artisanal glassblower: it wobbles which makes you wonder if it is original. I think it is.

I'm not saying it is but I could be convinced yours is a mexican decanter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline madrone

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 07:11:39 PM »
Ivo - thank you for the quick response. Hadn't even occurred to me to check into Mexico-produced glass! So how do you ID Mexican glass? I bought this bottle/decanter from a shop where the seller said the amethyst glass she was selling had all come from the same collection at an estate sale. At the same time I purchased a small Biot bottle without a stopper or cork (and was told it was something VERY different than what it is!); is it a difference in glass quality that I'll be able to spot more easily with experience or something specific?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 08:32:01 PM »
That is curious - the type of stopper is exactly what Biot uses for their decanters. Except, of course, Biot glass all has bubbles and a circular blowpipe finish for pontil mark. And it is stamped.
Realistically, it is not the quality of glass which s at issue, but the finish - if a company takes the trouble to properly finish and polish rims and pontil scars, then they are in a higher league. Which is an identifyer in itself.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline madrone

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 08:56:59 PM »
Curious is a good word for that and good to know about the finishing of the pontil. So glad this forum is here - a lot for me to learn.

Just for kicks, here is the Biot bottle.

Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand