No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: date request for gilded pressed rummer.  (Read 509 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
date request for gilded pressed rummer.
« on: June 19, 2014, 02:23:11 PM »
In view of the gilding and the applied colouring, I'm thinking this is probably Continental, but not sure.
There was gilding to the foot similar to the rim, but time and hands have done their worst.

Two mould seams - about 6.5" (165 mm) tall - and fair amount of wear on the underside of the extremity of the foot rim, with this unusual colouring to the underside of the foot and the inside of the rim.     Might the rim shading be to produce the effect of a sort of 'head' to the ale/beer :)
Might the colour be applied in some similar way to carnival glass salts, or is it painted on perhaps?

I'm thinking late C19, but again not sure.             No marks of any kind, and no capacity indication that I can see.

thanks for looking and look forward to amy comments. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: date request for gilded pressed rummer.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 03:21:17 PM »
Well if it was in the U.S. we would say it the bottom of a covered candy missing the lid so not much help here.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 10:35:44 PM »
thanks  -  I'd assumed the intention of this piece was that it had been made as a drinking glass, and possibly a rummer, since it looked the part, but I stand to be corrected, and you may well be right  -  it doesn't have a stem of any sort, and obviously I don't have a lid  -  although it could be missing perhaps.
What sort of date might your 'candy' have been made  -  and do you mean a type of large version of a jelly type glass, for dessert type confectionery?  -  I know nothing of candies, sorry :)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 12:52:31 AM »
Paul these were popular (wildly so) from the mid-20s into the late 30s over here. Just about every manufacturer made 3-4 types so you had probably 100 variations but all shared the same basic design.  DW has had this one for over 20 years (hurried photo). Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 07:20:54 AM »
thanks Ken  -  your pix certainly show a match in shape and design with this piece, so looks very much as though you are right.      Not the sort of item that I'd remotely been aware of - don't get the feeling that the U.K. had such pieces, but not sure.

Pity about the wear on the gilding - this was obviously a very attractive piece when much younger - also a shame I don't have the lid.

thanks again. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand