No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown---told Art Deco  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Pat Slawich

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • depression & art deco glass
    • Canada
Unknown---told Art Deco
« on: June 24, 2014, 08:45:10 PM »
I  purchased this vase at a flea market because I liked it....I was told it was Art Deco but I am unfamiliar with that glass and was looking for some help.  The vase is a very deep blue and looks like it was blown...it is very heavy...8 1/2 inches tall and the Handles of which there are three are totally clear.  The top has a pointy end and there are the handles which are clear and then the glass goes into dark blue all of one part and the blue swirls slightly down to the base.  I am attaching a picture of vase.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Pat

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Unknown---told Art Deco
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 01:39:38 AM »
Hello Pat and welcome to the board. Your image seems to have slipped off somewhere - can you attach it to a reply please? If you're having problems uploading then feel free to send me copies of images and I'll add them to the topic for you.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 03:19:36 AM »
Images added for Pat...
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 09:46:46 AM »
Hi Pat..       my own opinion would be that this has nothing to do with art deco......a style that was typified more by symmetrical and linear design/shape than your piece, which shows a more free form style.

regret I can't help with an attribution, but might suggest that date wise it's possibly from the 1960's.
It has some similarities with the Czechoslvakian blown pieces decorated with pulled lobes - also makes me think of British Liskeard and W/F's 'Knobbly' and 'Knobberly' decoration.
I don't think it is either of these British houses, but just that this type of free form decoration seems to have been in vogue during that period. :) 

Offline kimo

• Members
    • Deco, nouveau, brilliant
    • America
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 01:40:19 PM »
I agree with Paul that this design is very much not Art Deco.  Art Deco is defined as a design style of the 1920s and 1930s characterized especially by bold outlines, geometric and zigzag forms.  It is soaring and streamlined, often with multiple parallel lines, sometimes with fan shaped or occasionally with intersecting lines.

Most dealers and sellers of old things do not know the difference between art deco, arts and crafts, mid-century modern, and whatever.  What they do know is if they use terms like these - whether or not they apply in any way or not and they usually do not - then they can get a higher price.

If you look on pinterest and enter art deco you will see many examples of what is art deco - though of course since it is not a moderated site there will be 10 percent to 20 percent that is not art deco, but most of will be.  The more you look at examples that more you will be able to judge for yourself what is and what is not art deco.  You will soon begin to tell which of the photos there are not of art deco objects - though most of them are.  Then you will be able to judge glass objects as to whether they are art deco or if you have another all too common dealer who is throwing the word around to get a better price for something that is not, or to be kind who is simply not knowledgeable.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 03:32:09 PM »
Agreed. As a Deco fan & somewhat of a Deco collector I see the term Deco thrown around for almost anything, but especially intertwined with Art Nouveau as if it has a figural lady somewhere involved in the design it must be Deco. 

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 07:17:11 PM »
A base shot would be useful

Offline Pat Thompson

• Members
    • depression & art deco
    • Canada
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 09:44:01 PM »
Hi...there are three shots included in the original post, full vase, top and base.  I seem to have some agreement that the vase maybe Chekoslovacian?....possibly bohemian...but probably not that old....help?  Thanks everyone and especially Anne for posting my pictures.  Thank you.  any help much appreciated.

Pat

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 10:02:58 PM »
Lustrousstone is almost certainly referring to the underside of the base, literally  -  it's that part of most glass items that has the potential to tell us a lot about the origin and possible age of a piece. :)

Offline Pat Thompson

• Members
    • depression & art deco
    • Canada
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 12:46:21 AM »
Sorry I misunderstood.  The base of the vase is flat...no markings nothing on the bottom at all...its like a knife sliced it off.

Pat

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand