No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large dimpled green fruit bowl maker?  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Large dimpled green fruit bowl maker?
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 04:36:26 PM »
don't want to see anyone getting off lightly with this question of attribution ;) ;)

attached are some pix from the Board's T/Webb picture library, showing examples of T/Webb 'lenses' and their greens  -  plus some pix I've just taken showing an amethyst vase with a Richardson backstamp. 
It may just be that the difference in 'feel' of the lenses between the two factories is a deciding factor  -  although why there should be differences I'm not sure  -  they were under the same roof virtually at the time David is speaking of  -  the early 1930's.           

To me the op's vase looks very much as tho it could possibly be the 'Spring' green, from the Gay Glass range - not certain, but possibly.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,46385.msg260684.html#msg260684

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,53169.msg301937.html#msg301937

Enjoy. ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 04:42:56 PM »
apologies, seems I forgot the Richardson pix.               the other links were to show colours and shapes of some previously unattributed but perhaps similar pieces.

I know we're always saying you mustn't make a judgment based on single examples, but......  just to repeat that the feel of the Richardson lenses is quite different to those of my T/Webb lenses.      But that may well not mean anything decisive.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SNJ

• Members
    • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 06:45:28 PM »
Thanks, Paul, great pics. The Richardson lenses perhaps seem (from the photos) more strongly defined and certainly smaller. Sitting here with the bowl on the table next to me, the similarity between the bottom Webb bowl and the one I have is striking, both in terms of colour and lens configuration, with horizontal ovals at the top and vertical ovals at the bottom, as well as their size and even number of rows. Finally the Richardson rim is of an even thickness while the Webb is slightly undulating. Impossible to be emphatic based on the evidence of a few examples, of course, but the attribution seems a little less uncertain than when I first enquired. I'm very grateful for the contributions.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 07:16:29 PM »
the problem now, I feel, is a common one in glass collecting  .........   more confusion by virtue of the quantity of images/advice which is intended to help:'(

For what they're worth my own thoughts were that lenses on T/Webb are more sharply defined, literally, whereas feeling this Richardson vase the exterior seems noticeably smoother.

I suspect you may well have to live with never getting a definitive answer.        Where would we get our fun if everything was marked  -  much T/Webb is unmarked - but a large proportion we id as Webb based on experience.          Richardson seems to be met with very infrequently, and if not marked then ......?? 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 07:21:08 PM »
great pics Paul.

If it is Thomas Webb then it must be possible somewhere to in find a shape match hopefully :)
m

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 08:19:53 PM »
Or Thomas Webb using Richardson moulds?  ;)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand